EDPM Roof Repair Patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a soil stack which is being lowered to the floor inside, the top of the stack (vent pipe) exits straight out through my EDPM (I believe it's this as it isn't felt) flat roof.

Once the pipe has been lowered I'm going to end up with a hole in the roof which needs to be repaired.

Would a patch type solution like this work? https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/shop/epdm-roof-repair-kit

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a soil stack which is being lowered to the floor inside, the top of the stack (vent pipe) exits straight out through my EDPM (I believe it's this as it isn't felt) flat roof.

Once the pipe has been lowered I'm going to end up with a hole in the roof which needs to be repaired.

Would a patch type solution like this work? https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/shop/epdm-roof-repair-kit
If your flat roof is EPDM it should work ok.
You prime the EPDM membrane to activate the uncured butyl on the patch.
A bit like the patching the inner tube on a bicycle.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your flat roof is EPDM it should work ok.
You prime the EPDM membrane to activate the uncured butyl on the patch.
A bit like the patching the inner tube on a bicycle.

Thanks for the advice.
I will post a pic up of the roof if that's ok so you could identify it?

Thanks for the advice.
I will post a pic up of the roof if that's ok so you could identify it?
I did the Firestone EPDM contractors course a lot of years ago.
They used send out samples of EPDM to people who enquired about their product.
If you got a sample from them you could compere it to your roof covering to make sure it is actually EPDM.

If it's currently properly flashed etc why not just leave a bit of pipe there and cap that.

oPAAHF4.jpg

That's the roof

6VYaequ.jpg

I'm no expert but I would have guessed that was GRP/fibreglass. Does it yield to finger pressure?

It's hard to touch, feels like very hard plastic
Well I'm totally inexperienced but strongly suspect it's GRP. The only EPDM I've handled was sort of like vinyl cushion floor to the touch, and I'm sure you know what a fibreglass bath feels and sounds like. Personally I agree with cdbe's suggestion of capping it. Provided it's not leaking at the moment and you cut it down to ~3 inches or so and then use a female cap I can't see how that's any worse than patching a hole and it's a whole lot less work and requires no expertise.

You could even fill the inside with the dreaded expanding foam so you aren't really losing anything in terms of insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back