EICR Cost

Thanks everybody, it transpires that it's a company which have branches throughout the country, and apparently the final account was drawn up by the office. Methinks I will have a word in their ear tomorrow. It's not the money it the principal.

It sounds like a company, where they take a profit and dish work out to small one man bands, as an agency would.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough - it therefore sounds as if it was essentially the person who gave the verbal quote who was 'at fault'. Mind you, as has been said, unless perhaps we're talking about London, £470 seems rather steep - but maybe that's the price one pays for using a 'big company'?

Kind Regards, John
No, not London, north west England.

It sounds like a company, where they take a profit and dish work out to small one man bands, as an agency would.
Yes, that's what I think, a search on Google for the company name reveals nothing, but I have traced the persons who did the work to a residential house.

Yes, that's what I think, a search on Google for the company name reveals nothing, but I have traced the persons who did the work to a residential house.

I would tackle them on the actual charge exceeding the original quote. A quote is a quote, unless you agree on additional work being necessary.

Sponsored Links
I would tackle them on the actual charge exceeding the original quote. A quote is a quote, unless you agree on additional work being necessary.
Worth a try, but I would expect them to say that a "verbal quote to brother in law" was not provided by someone authorised to quote for the company's services - and, in any event, since it was verbal, it's hard to see how one could prove that the 'quote' was even given.

The usual advice is "three written quotes", and that seems wise.

Kind Regards, John

No, not London, north west England.
That's what I suspected - so my comment stands, that £470 seems rather OTT. However, it's perhaps not unexpected, since a big company is not beyond adding, say, 50% onto what an electrician would be expected to charge for doing the work 'privately'.

Kind Regards, John

Depends on the number of circuits but would normally be around £250 for a 3 bed semi up here.
Thanks. That's in the ballpark I would have guessed. Down here (in Bucks, but significantly away from London), I would probably expect closer to £300.

Kindest Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back