EICR unsatisfactory, am I being ripped off?

It is part of the EICR to say that an SPD is not fitted when it should be. Section 443 of BS7671:2018 gives very specific details of when it is or is not required. If it should be fitted and is not it is is a non-compliance and must be noted. Is it dangerous? Unlikely. Could it be better? Yes. C3 improvement recommended.

And 443.4 contains an exception for single dwelling units "where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection"

Which is surely a judgement call to be made by the person occupying or owning the dwelling. It is certainly NOT the place of the electrician carrying out an EICR to make that call.

As a homeowner, my judgment is that the chance of any damage being caused by a TOV in my locality is so low as to make the fitting of an SPD unjustified.

Sponsored Links
For BS7671:2001 471-16-01 (471-08-04 was deleted) on outdoor sockets it was an addition. However 701.411.3.3 is very different as it allowed less bonding if an RCD is fitted, and the use of any plastic pipes can result in needing a RCD to comply with 701.411.3.3, I don't have a copy of BS 7671:1992, so not sure when 471-16-01 (411.3.3) came in.

But although it may have a code C3 in real terms it is the code C2 which people are interested in, and code 4 is dropped so not really interested in what BS7671 says, what is considered is if potentially dangerous. And because of the removing of bonding then 701.411.3.3 is valid when considering a potential danger, but even if a SPD is required to protect equipment, it does not result in a potential danger if not installed, so only a code C3, the need for a SPD arrived because we have started to use semi-conductors on the mains supply, old equipment we used a transformer first, then the semi-conductor so there was little chance of a spike damaging the semi-conductors as it was likely reduced by the transformer.

As to if I have lost equipment due to a spike, I really don't know, equipment has failed, including computer power supplies, which could be due to a spike, but also could be old age. I don't own an oscilloscope, so have no way to monitor if there are any spikes, I think unlikely with an under ground supply, but can't rule them out.

I now have a SPD and since it was installed I have not lost any switch mode power supply, or motor inverter, but can't really say this is because of the SPD.

And 443.4 contains an exception for single dwelling units "where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection" .... Which is surely a judgement call to be made by the person occupying or owning the dwelling. It is certainly NOT the place of the electrician carrying out an EICR to make that call. .... As a homeowner, my judgment is that the chance of any damage being caused by a TOV in my locality is so low as to make the fitting of an SPD unjustified.
I have responded to the above in a new thread which can be found (here) .

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back