Ekco underfloor heating stats in 70s build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, I have recently purchased a flat, built 1974 with Ekco thermostats for the underflooring heating in the hall, living room and bedroom. They feature an on/off switch and dial.

My sparky tells me the main controller/module in the intake cupboard has blown so the system does’nt work, I am having him back to sort it but in the mean time I’d like to replace the stats as they look very dated and most have been put on crooked!

Any ideas on suitable replacements? Maybe digital although I don’t want to run probes, I just want a straight swap. Also something cheapy.

Does anyone know about this heating system as I’ve never come across such a system before? The part which I'm told has failed is a sort of relay box in the intake cupboard.

Thanks for your help.

James

Sponsored Links
Most modern thermostats can probably be used, subject to the contact rating and the number of wires required - probably minimal load as the power is switched via the controller box, and 2 wire thermostats would be likely.

However before all that, and replacing the controller, have the floor elements been tested? 40 year old heating elements are not likely to be in particularly good condition, and if they are suspect or failed, you are wasting your money with anything else.

There is also the question of why the controller failed - element failure is a very likely possibility.

Even if they do actually work, it will be ridiculously expensive to run and take forever to actually heat anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back