electical problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i think i have a major problem with my eletrics ,i switched my cooker on and the connection plate was loose and caught on the wire which tripped the cooker,i then tried to trip it back on but it made a kindof grinding noise and a slight spark cam off the trip switch and out the meter box since then i cant switch anything other than the tv and the laptop on as the meter makes a grinding noise i plugged the micro in and the tv went off i tried to boil the kettle and the meter started making a loud grinding noise ---i'm going to call an electrician 1st thing in the morning but ws wondering if anyone could maybe adv whats wrong with it
also its an old electric meter from when the house was built in the late 60's

Sponsored Links
If the meter is making a grinding noise you need to contact your electricity supplier as it is their property. They should replace it free of charge.
I don't like the sound of an MCB making a grinding noise tho - might need replacing.
Could be a loose connection on the meter causing the voltage to dip when you put anything large on - one explainiation that could cause the Micro vs TV issue.
Your electricity supplier should have a 24hr contact no - give them a call. They may send someone out today.

thanks for the reply im sat here with everything off except tv and latop
i keep expecting it to catch fire or something. i can understand the cooker triping off but i cant fathem why the meter would spark.i have noticed over the past few weeks that the lights would fleicker every now again but i ut that down to trick of the eye and they've ll got them energy saving bulbs in them

I had a similar problem not so long back at home - the fault was with the electrical suppliers transformer so a lot of houses were suffering flickering lamps.
They are more noticable with discharge / fluorescent type lighting such as energy saving lamps.
Your meter shouldn't spark - ever.
Phone your electricity suppliers 24 hour helpline and tell them that you have seen your electricity meter sparking - I'd imagine they'd send someone out to it today.
In the meantime it may be a good idea to leave your main switch off.

Sponsored Links
Phone Scottish Power (0845 2727999) as they cover your area.
It sounds as if there is a loose connection at the meter.

Tell thee you have heard the crackilng cound and you need someone out

update to the situation i phoned scottish power and explained my problem mentioned sparks from the meter ect and the person said its sounds like an internal electrical problem so up to me to sort because i still have power i'm going to get an electrician out tomorrow hopefully but seem a little bemused as how they just dismissed it

That's almost criminal, if you mentioned sparks from the meter and they weren't interested. Is Scottish power your actual supplier (i.e. the people who bill you), or the DNO for the area. If they're the DNO they could have just decided that the problem is with the meter, which is the supplier's problem, not theirs...

Scottish Power staff are really talented.
They can diagnose problems remotely over the phone and automatically deduce that it is not their equipment as you still have power

Back in the real world they appear to actively discourage you from getting them out.

It's probabaly nothing to do with the fact that they have probably only 1 person covering from Fort William to the borders

I would call them back and explain the meter is their property and you require somoene out tonight to check it.

thanks to all the replied it turns out it was as suggested the neutral on the tails was melted which was causing the problem --so now all fixed i called scottish power again this morning and they had someone out within the hour must of been cause it was sunday night that the 1st person i spoke to didnot want to do anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back