Electric and Gas meter box replacement confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Gas and Electic meter boxes are in a bit of a state and need replacing. In addition to this, we had an engineer visit a while back to install a smart meter and couldn't as our boxes are metal.

my confusion lies in who to talk to with regards to getting them replaced - is this a simple job or are the meter boxes more involved than simply replacing the face?

The engineer said the gas would have to be turned off to replace the box, and Shell (my energy supplier) seems to be doing their best to be as unhelpful as possible
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Over covers ?

Attachments

• 6A7491EE-840A-4FB7-8AFC-0A029A09C103.png
    6A7491EE-840A-4FB7-8AFC-0A029A09C103.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 49
Why ? Can only be due to signal of the smart meter sim ? Fitting a plastic/ fibreglass font should allow the signal out as the old metal door would be removed

Sponsored Links
To be honest most of the boxes I’ve seen are fibre glass with a metal frame for the door to be attached

Attachments

• C6D428C4-AF6F-4829-A324-E362B63B8F83.png
    C6D428C4-AF6F-4829-A324-E362B63B8F83.png
    653.9 KB · Views: 45
Why ? Can only be due to signal of the smart meter sim ? Fitting a plastic/ fibreglass font should allow the signal out as the old metal door would be removed

Ive not looked in detail (I will when Im home) but Ive been told the metal box wont alow for the Bluetooth/Wifi connection to be made to the smart meter - its a reasonably common issue with older builds I belive

Normally, the homeowner owns the meter boxes and is responsible for maintenance and replacement.

And yes, the meter and infrastructure owner (National Grid/Energy suplier) would have to disconnect and alter the incoming pipe/cable to the new box.

with regards to getting them replaced - is this a simple job or are the meter boxes more involved than simply replacing the face?
Builder merchants sell both gas and leccy boxes. We fit them often, but usually at the behest of the customer, whose intent is to have the meters moved into their new location.

Builder merchants sell both gas and leccy boxes. We fit them often, but usually at the behest of the customer, whose intent is to have the meters moved into their new location.
Ah, so do you have to arrange to have the gas turned off to do this, and if so how do you go about that? - thats what Ive been told anyway

Ah, so do you have to arrange to have the gas turned off to do this, and if so how do you go about that? - thats what Ive been told anyway
Well no. That's because we are installing the empty meter boxes in a new location, in readiness for the existing meter to be moved into our new box. Ultimately, they have to switch off to move though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back