Electric boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are Electric boilers worth considering in flats? Potterton 12kw in particular, about £500.
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Depends on the electrical supply to the flat, I am fitting that exact model next week, they used to come with a 5 year warranty, but only come with 1 year now, very expensive to run, they come in 6,9, and 12 KW models, depending on the size of the flat you will probably get away with a 9 KW, if you are going to fit an electric shower too you need to take that into consideration, you might need to fit a shower relay.

As Ian says, depends on whether the electricity supply can keep up, and who's paying the bill, because they're horribly expensive to run

Thanks both for your input, the Potterton I saw had an output of 12kw and ran on about 4.5 kw , Possibly I read that wrong. Is there an electric boiler at about 4-5 kw?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Muggles. So the output is 6kw, my old vented system is 12kw, I presume the 6kw is going to struggle.
What would happen with 7 rads on 6kw, would they just not heat up properly.?
Thanks

Energy from electricity costs about four times as much as energy from gas.

I gather you already have a gas boiler.

What prompts you to quadruple the energy bills?

Ok, that's a good point, I didn't realise elec boilers were 4 times as much to run. Thanks

Thanks for that Muggles. So the output is 6kw, my old vented system is 12kw, I presume the 6kw is going to struggle.
What would happen with 7 rads on 6kw, would they just not heat up properly.?
Thanks
I showed you what you asked for (a boiler around 5kW). If you'd asked for a 12kW boiler, I'd have given you a link to that...

Thanks both for your input, the Potterton I saw had an output of 12kw and ran on about 4.5 kw , Possibly I read that wrong. Is there an electric boiler at about 4-5 kw?
Thanks
No you have read something wrong electric boilers have elements rated at 3kw, so a 6KW has two elements, a 9 KW 3 elements , you get the idea, when the unit first comes on it will come on at full, then as your radiators and HW heat up the elements drop out one at a time untill you only have one to keep the water hot, or cut out all together if the system is completely satisfied

Ok, thanks , I understand a bit more now.
Also , I believe u can use an existing vented system or convert to pressured system.
If sticking with vented does the f&e tank still have to be situated higher than elec boiler as with gas boiler? Probably a stupid question but my f&e tank is level with existing boiler and can't go any higher.

Last edited:
Have a look at the ASA...you'll find the electric heating industry continually get reprimanded for false claims.

Yes, your F&E needs to be above the boiler, or the boiler won't fill with water

Ok thanks, so if sealing the system is the pressure vessel outside the elec boiler or can it be either inside or outside boiler like gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back