Is a 12kw boiler sufficient for a 3 bed semi?

This is hilarious! why the detective work? the OPs exisiting boiler is already 12kw, if that one heats the house ok then so will the new one! :rolleyes:
I agree, but obviously the OP is needs reassurance. The on-line calculators may come up with less.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your input, used the sedbuk website and it came out to just over 15kw.

Sponsored Links
when it was -10 earlier this year did the house stay warm or was you sitting in a blanket shivering?

House is 15 years old and is very well insulated and stays warm.

Windows are currently old wooden frame double glazing but these are being updated to upvc and i took this into consideration on the sedbuk calculator.

There is a gas line that runs under the property and looks like a 22 when it goes in but no idea how far it goes.

There is then a 15mm pipe that comes out the floor in the kitchen that supplies the stove and the current boiler.

Could i fit a 15kw with the current pipework or should i run a new gas line?

if it stays warm with your existing 12kw boiler then it will stay warm with another one. no brainer. :rolleyes:

Thats exactly what i was thinking, but would i have to have the pipework upgraded if i wanted a 15kw boiler?

House is 15 years old and is very well insulated and stays warm.

Windows are currently old wooden frame double glazing but these are being updated to upvc and i took this into consideration on the sedbuk calculator.
In that case a 15kW boiler sounds too big. I suggest you try the other calculator as the Sedbuk one can be confusing.

Some things to note with both calculators:

1. The height is the room height - floor to ceiling
2. A semi detached has only three external walls - front, back and the non-attached wall.

Right, the other calculator doesnt work when you click next.

I made an error on the sedbuk calculator the first time round with the number of exterior length walls and height too!

So did it all again and looks like 12kw will be fine with double glazing, cavity wall insulation and sufficient loft insulation.

Right, the other calculator doesnt work when you click next.
Do you use Firefox or some other browser, i.e not Internet Explorer? The EST calculator seems to have a problem if you do. I have emailed EST and they say there is nothing wrong!

I made an error on the sedbuk calculator the first time round with the number of exterior length walls and height too!
You are not the first! The EST calculator more user friendly.

So did it all again and looks like 12kw will be fine with double glazing, cavity wall insulation and sufficient loft insulation.
Taken a long time to confirm the obvious, but I hope it was worth it. ;)

A bit like the 3 volumes of Principia Mathematica by Russell and Whitehead which takes over 360 pages to prove that 1+1=2!!!

10-12 kW of heat loss is typical of a three bed semi with good insulation.

In this case it could well be lower.

2kW has to be added for water heating.

So a 15 kW boiler would seem to be the right power.

Tony

2kW has to be added for water heating.

So a 15 kW boiler would seem to be the right power.
Both online calculators already include the 2kW for the cylinder in the result, so there is no need to add it a second time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back