Electric cable in new footings trench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, need some advice please, whilst digging out my new build extension today i came across the power cable that feeds my house and probably my nieghbours also.
Whats the right thing to do here it will run just above the new concrete slab when we fill the footings which are 600mm wide and 900mm deep and the base will be 300mm deep.
It runs across the trench not along it, but will eventually be under the new floor slab.
Or do i wait to see what the building inspector says !

Sponsored Links
probably you.

give them a call and explain why you want it moved, point out its to their benefit

Sponsored Links
there is absolutely no problem with burying power cables under buildings.

to avoid stressing the cable, be sure that it is not within the foundation concrete when you pour. if there is enough slack, you can rope the cable and tie it to a batten that has been laid across the trench on packers.

if the cable is to remain in the trench, sleeve it with a section of split piping, then tape the piping with duct tape to secure the split.

pack sand around the cable before back filling with hard core.

Could the cable not be sleeved with a plastic pipe, split down its length where it passes through the foundation? You would still presumeably need to run this by the power company though and get their approval. They may also have an alternative as I am sure that they will have come across this type of problem before.

gas pipes however, should never be buried under buildings and always remain accessible to transco.

Mr M said:
Could the cable not be sleeved with a plastic pipe, split down its length where it passes through the foundation? You would still presumeably need to run this by the power company though and get their approval. They may also have an alternative as I am sure that they will have come across this type of problem before.

ahem! read my post! ;)

noseall said:
Mr M said:

ahem! read my post! ;)

You must have got in there 1 milli-second before me Noseall :LOL:

Sleaving it with plastic pipe is fine by me as long as i don't have to move it after my new kitchen / conservatory is built
thanks boys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back