Electric cables run in a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have very old cables that run through a flat roof which terminate in a kitchen below (very old building extension) My worry now is the deteriotion of cables through hot summers and freezing winters. My question being can the cables be run via Plastic conduit over the cealing in the kitchen or does this contravine 17th edition of building/electrical regulations.

Sponsored Links
Hi, the short ansewer to you question is yes, it is completely acceptable to have surface conduit or trunking on the ceiling.

I would advise you to have a electrican undertake some tests on the wiring you are concerned about.

Kind regards,

DS

Hi, the short ansewer to you question is yes, it is completely acceptable to have surface conduit or trunking on the ceiling.
Indeed - but do you think that surface mounted conduit is what the OP meant when he talked about "via plastic conduit over the cealing (s.i.c)". I must say that I read it to mean above the ceiling - although even that would quite probably not be a problem. We don't, of course, know what these cable are doing - if they are part of sockets, or even cooker, circuits, installation method might become more of an issue.
I would advise you to have a electrican undertake some tests on the wiring you are concerned about.
Indeed - and the electrician can then also advise on the issues above..

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for you gracious endorsement of my professional advice John, i will sleep well tonight. :rolleyes:

Kind regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
If the OP is worried about their wiring how does that help ?

Kind regards,

DS

deadshort";p="3306824 said:

Kind regards,

The cable which runs to sockets in the kitchen (2.5mm ) which are old multi stranded wire (not copper) cables are run above the plasterboard dealing and run through the flat roof joists. I know that flat roof top floor would certainly have to run lighting wires on the inside if ther was a concrete roof above the room or kitchen. Again thanks for all advise if the cable needs to go in the same route the plasterboard would have to be cut out on that route and then replaced - do not wish to open up the flat roof from the outside.

Thank you for you gracious endorsement of my professional advice John, i will sleep well tonight. :rolleyes:
I was not so much endorsing your advice as questioning your interpretation of the OP, since your interpretation seemed to be different from mine. I have to say that, now having seen the OP's 'clarification', I'm still not totally sure which of us was nearer to interpreting correctly!

Kind Regards, John

[quote="johnscts"

The cable which runs to sockets in the kitchen (2.5mm ) which are old multi stranded wire (not copper) cables [/quote]

They are not 2.5mm then. Sounds like they are 7/029 imperial cables. They probably are copper tin plated. Are they rubber covered or plastic?
If plastic freezing winters should not affect them, and I doubt if hot summers would either.
If rubber though they need replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back