Electric consumer unit from socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon ,

I have a external socket which I’m currently using for my power tools for building work, last night it posted down and I totally forgot I left my grinder plugged in which then tripped my house electrics.

I wondered if it’s possible to run a small consumer unit from the back of a socket, this would be located inside the porch and then run my outdoor socket from this and possibly a light for the porch ?
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
What would be the point?

Or are you proposing a separate feed from the meter?

hi
Thanks for your reply if there was a fault on the outdoor socket it would trip the second consumer unit and not the full house one.

The metre is at the other side of the house so running from the metre would be a pain

Doesn't work like that. Unless you put a high-sensitivity RCD in the lash-up to your tool supply it's 50/50 which RCD would trip first.
Here's a tip- don't leave power tools and 240v sockets out in the rain!
You could use a magnetic RCD in your outside extension- nice thing with these is if supply is disconnected the RCD will open and not close until you push the reset button.

Sponsored Links
Oldbut, thanks for the tip… I don’t usually make a habit of it. The magnetic rcd sounds a perfect solution
Thanks
Jake

I have although not connected a 10 mA active MK socket, the reason why not used, is when it was, press the test button, and the 10 mA, 30 mA and S type 100 mA RCD's all tripped.

The normally way is to use a 110 volt (55-0-55) transformer for power tools, but it is using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. But an isolation transformer is the only real way.

Personally I use all RCBO's so if anything does trip the RCD it is only that circuit I loose, but one thing when fitting a new consumer unit to go all RCBO, but another to change just because of one trip.

I did use active RCD's for the supply to grinders, the were cheaper than fitting a no volt release relay, so if there is a power failure on return the grinder does not run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back