Electric drill required for 4" thick concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - i need to drill 10 holes 7/8" dia and 4" deep in a concrete floor for the purpose of securing the lifting posts of a new mid-rise car lift.

problem is i only have a 1/2" 570W b&d hammer drill & will obviously be useless.

can anyone therefore please advise on this as i would buy suitable if not too expensive.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Blimey - Just hire a SDS drill for the day. They may even have the bits for you!

My old B&D will do 22mm which is a bit smaller but definitely pushing it!
So I invested in buying an SDS, but then I do get plenty of use out of it to make buying worthwhile

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-drill-240v/97533 Good value if you fancy buying - it's a shame your bit size is not included

You could probably get there with your own drill if you went 5mm 8mm 12mm 16mm and so on until you get to your size, unless of coarse you are angling for a new drill for christmas ;)

You could probably get there with your own drill if you went 5mm 8mm 12mm 16mm and so on until you get to your size, unless of coarse you are angling for a new drill for christmas ;)

if the wife reads this i'll be getting all those bits for christmas instead - cheers!!

Sponsored Links
Blimey - Just hire a SDS drill for the day. They may even have the bits for you!

My old B&D will do 22mm which is a bit smaller but definitely pushing it!
So I invested in buying an SDS, but then I do get plenty of use out of it to make buying worthwhile

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-drill-240v/97533 Good value if you fancy buying - it's a shame your bit size is not included

cheers for that - ordered one + 1 roll of insulating tape to get it over the £50 for free shipping - to be honest i'd never heard of a sds drill but i've away from the tools other than servicng the family cars for over 20 yrs.

cheers for that - ordered one + 1 roll of insulating tape to get it over the £50 for free shipping - to be honest i'd never heard of a sds drill but i've away from the tools other than servicng the family cars for over 20 yrs.

Good luch with that - I bet you find other jobs for once its in your hands! If the setting out of the hole tolerances are tight I would still use the smaller drill to create a pilot hole dead on position. It also makes it easier for the big bits to follow. I also always mark my centres with a big X so I can check alignment with the remaining parts of the lines as the hole is being drilled

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back