Electric Fire & Class 1 Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have an open fire in our new bungalow - we're not interested in keeping it. Like the idea of having a multi fuel stove however think the cost would be prohibitive when considering having the chimney lined and the fireplace opening widened.

Looking at the possibility of having an electric fire instead....there is no gas in the village. What would be the correct way to install an electric fire into an open fireplace? I'm presuming (as it's electric!) that I need to block off the chimney to stop soot/water falling down - if that is the case how do I go about keeping the chimney ventilated? I've read that if blocking the fireplace completely, I should install an airbrick - but what do I do if I'm fitting an electric fire in there?

Also - electrics - is it acceptable to spur an FCU off the nearest socket, fitted to the side of the chimney breast, and then run the cable from the back of the fire and into a hole drilled through the chimney breast into the fire opening?

Is any of this work notifiable?

If anyone has any other suggestions what could go there instead of an electric fire, would be interested to hear.....would ideally like something that can provide heat in addition to the radiator, but without the mess and hassle of an open fire.

Many thanks in advance!

Andy.

Sponsored Links
You can block the base of the chimney, fill with vermiculite insulation and cap the top of the chimney this method stops the heat going up the chimney and as there is no air in the chimney it won't need venting
electrics should be done by part p electrician as it is an extension to the wiring :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back