Electric fire underneath tv help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We put the electric fire on the lower part of the chimney breast and it is making under the tv quite hot.

Any recommendations to solve the problem without say moving the fire.

We want to pipit a floating shelf below TV but on top of fire to put sky box etc

Thanks in advance all

Sponsored Links
A heat resistant shelf is probably ok but the fire instructions should give the required clearances.

the gtee on your telly will more than likely be void if placed above a heat source

I shouldn't worry too much. Heat rises...

...so it will go past the TV and up towards that table on which the lamp is sitting.

Sponsored Links
Some of the heated air will simply curl around a plain shelf and still get to the TV.

If the shelf has a dropped front face fitted ( extending down below the shelf ) then some heated air will be trapped behind the dropped front and will have to go to the ends of the shelf thus away from the TV.

As some one who used to watch TV as a living, I can say that the TV is too high. The top of it should be slightly below your eye line.
The feature in the room can be the fire OR the TV. As a compromise I would move the fire down to about 6" of the floor and leave a 1/2 " slot above the top and bottom of it so some air can flow around the back of it to keep the chimney breast cool(ish). Then drop the TV by at least 1' and while you are at it, put a tube through the side of the chimney breast for the leads to the satellite box/VCR/DVD player, sitting on a shelf in the recess.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back