Electric floor heating - what should I expect.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I have the mats down and laying in about 10mm of screed. I have four mats totalling 28 square meters. After the system had been on for 35 mins, the floor was no longer cold, but also didn't feel warm (like the demo systems they always have in the tile shops). What should my expectations be?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Are you using the mats as the primary heat source and what W/m² rating are they? Did you insulate the floor properly before the mats were laid?

Matts are 160 watts. I placed 10mm Insulation boards underneath them and they have about 10mm of laytex screed on top. I definately noticed a difference between the floor parts that were not heated (that area was cold).

Don't think the problem is due to the floor scensor either, as the power was not being restricted.

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are the primary (and only) heat source for the kitchen and dinning area. That's 28 square meters of 160w electric matts.

So you have 640 watts of heating for 28 sq. metres? Expect an egg to fry in approximately 480 years if dropped on that surface. Or do you mean a total of 4480 - if so there should be a noticeable warmth after 20 mins or so.

Have you left the system to get upto temperature over a few days, or just whacked it upto full and tested it after 20 mins?

Trouble is that a lot of the heat dissipates from the surface so its not easy to tell. Best method is to put a piece of soemthing thick - like piece of carpet - on the floor.
Leave for an hour and then put your hand under the carpet - should be nice & toasty.

Taylortwocities said:
Trouble is that a lot of the heat dissipates from the surface so its not easy to tell. Best method is to put a piece of soemthing thick - like piece of carpet - on the floor.
Leave for an hour and then put your hand under the carpet - should be nice & toasty.

Nice tip. Will try that tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back