electric fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

need some advice.

I attempted to fix my sons ceiling light in his bedroom after it had blown. (ie would not switch on). I fiddled with the wiring and attached them back up. (it was brown and blue, however it apeared the blue wire had not been connected up so I left it that way attaching brown to brown) however when I tried to turn the light on again i ended up blowing the main fuse. (I removed the attached wires in the lighting before going to the fuse box)

I had spoken to a friend of mine about my problem, and he is a bit better at DIY than me. Anyway he said that if the amp blows, you can amend the connection using amp wiring, he happened to have some of this and we tried to re-connect using the wiring. This made the lights work.

However this morning my son decided for the first time in 6 months that he wanted to put his light on and when he flicked the switch the light went again.

I tried the amp wiring again, but everytime i put the fuse back into the fuse box and turned the power back on it would blow again (little fizz and spark)

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
it was brown and blue, however it apeared the blue wire had not been connected up so I left it that way attaching brown to brown

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway he said that if the amp blows, you can amend the connection using amp wiring

What's audio equipment got to do with this problem? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I will make two predictions:

1) You have an intermittent short circuit in that light fitting.

2) You haven't got a clue how electric circuits work.

If you are really determined to learn about electricity I strongly recommend that you get a good book on the subject and play around with torch bulbs and batteries. Not, please not, a car battery. You'd be amazed how much damage a hundred amps can do! Try a simple circuit with a small battery, a switch and a bulb. Can you make it light up? Do you understand why it lights up? :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back