Electric garage door only closes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an electric garage door that's worked fine for the last 13 years but tried to open it this morning and nothing so checked the fuse and connections on plug they were fine couldn't see anything jammed in the screw so I wound the door open a tad buy turning the drive wheel then pressed the remote and it closes fine.i then wound it open halfway and pressed the button it started to close so I pressed the button again to stop it which it did but when you then press the button again it should then open but it just closes.would appreciate any advice thankyou

Sponsored Links
In many garage door controllers there are two relays that control the motor, one operates for DOWN and the other operates for UP. Can you hear a click from the contoller when you operate the UP button ?. If you can then most likely the motor or the lead to it has become faulty. If no click on UP but there is a click on DOWN then the controller board has a problem. ( which could be asimple as the UP relay had fallen out of its socket )

Sponsored Links
"gone high resistance, may be intermittent." = broken, I would say. :)

It s a Wessex lift boy gb1,the remote just has the one button which works both up and down. Under the main box there are two dials one to open and one to close do you think it's worth trying to adjust them and if so which one thankyou

Here's a pic of the dials

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 360
I'm not sure but maybe it's some sort of timer or counter that measures how long or how many times the drive wheel spins. Plus I checked davelx suggestion about the open limit switch it seems to be move freely and is were it should be

Thanks for the help it was one of the first things I looked at the open limit switch it has a steel pin spring loaded but when you push it in with your finger and then release it I pings back all the and has a really strong spring on it but I could test it with any equipment as don't own any.i found out it was that buy pinging it back a couple of times then trying the remote control and most of the time it now opens so it has to be a minor problem with the wiring or open switch,any how thanks again for all your imput

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back