Electric Guitar Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done up a few Squier Strats over the years. I recently read an article that said you should do away with volume and tone controls on the guitar, just using the amp to get the sound you want.

If I just bypass the vol and tone pots, will I get minimum sound and tone, or maximum, if that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
The control knobs will turn potentiometers, or variable resistors, which will have their value, in kilohms, printed on the side.
If you bypass the pots altogether -you'll get minimum resistance and therefore maximum volume. If I recall, there will be maximum treble on the other, but don't hold me to that one!
Look at the pots connections - there will be 3, with the central one being called the wiper - which slides over a carbon track to give either a minimum resistance at one end or one that gives the maximum resistance that the pot can provide at the other. Not all three connections are always used - just the central one and one other.
John who knows nowt about music :p :)

It would make sense not to have any attenuation until at amp and to not have controls mounted on a vibrating unit.

However it's not all common sense much is matching and standards. Transmission lines are a subject in them self and the impedance of the feeder will depend on the current in them so your matched feeders my be no longer matched.

So to move the controls may mean you need feeders of abnormal impedance which may not be available.

I don't know how carefully things are matched in the first place so it may not matter but I would retain all bits so you can return it to standard.

Sponsored Links
Back