Electric Heated Towel Rails - Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

This is my first post, I am a DIY novice and I really need some advice!

I have an Electric Heated Towel rail in my en-suite bathroom, and something is amiss as the top rail of it is stone cold. The rest of it is ok but it isn't heating the room very well. It is purely electrical as we don't have central heating as I live in a flat.

I notices that there are two screws/bolts at the top on each side (the towel rail is H shaped) which i wondered if this needed to be 'bled' in the way that a normal water filled radiator would - does anyone know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - even if its just to let me know its broken and i need a new one!

Thanks,

Andi.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Does it connect to anything ?

If not and you bled it - how does the "water?" come out - its not under pressure from C/H system ?

I'm confused now too ??!!

Stoyer

It's not connected to anything, I wasn't thinking of letting liquid out, just air.

Thanks,

Andi.

Hello,

To let air out, the space left will need to be filled with another substance ?

If it is not connected to anything - air will not come out ?

Is the space supposed to be there to allow for heat expansion of the liquid that's heating up inside ?

I am no expert here but thinking logically ?

Anyone else have any ideas ?

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
Hi

Had another thought - maybe the rail comes with no water and is filled after installation ?

Maybe - while its cold you could slacken carefully the "bleed screw" ?

Maybe its requires a "top up" of water - if indeed its water that's inside ?

Hope any of this is helpful,

Stoyer

From what I've seen online they normally have an element inside and water at the bottom but I'm not sure for certain. Thanks for your suggestions though!

A.

Be Very very careful before putting water into an electrically heated towel rail. Sunds like a recipe for absolute disaster if its not supposed to have any!!

Why not, switch it off - remove one of the top plugs and drip a wick in.

Should be able to tell from that whats in it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back