Electric heating

Sponsored Links
The report linked to from the Quantum has running costs in it.

ATEOTD, gas CH is cheaper.

Are they good or expensive to run?
If you have off peak electricity, and there is absolutely no other option for heating, the Quantum heaters are a reasonable choice.
Other manufacturers make similar storage heaters, most of which cost less to buy.
If installing such things, the idea is that you have those and nothing else. and they are fitted in every room.

The Monterey is a standard panel heater, will use the most expensive electricity and is much the same as any other electric heater, including those which cost a fraction of the price.

The report linked to from the Quantum has running costs in it.

ATEOTD, gas CH is cheaper.

Thank you. I am not in the UK and gas is the most expensive heating option here. Oil is our cheapest followed by electric then gas.

If you have off peak electricity, and there is absolutely no other option for heating, the Quantum heaters are a reasonable choice.
Other manufacturers make similar storage heaters, most of which cost less to buy.
If installing such things, the idea is that you have those and nothing else. and they are fitted in every room.

The Monterey is a standard panel heater, will use the most expensive electricity and is much the same as any other electric heater, including those which cost a fraction of the price.
Thank you. Yes we have the Superheat tariff available for the storage heaters.
https://www.electricity.gg/customer-information/tariffs/
Are there any other storage heater manufacturers that you would recommend?

Sponsored Links
As all electric heaters are 100% efficient I can't see how the quantum can be 27% cheaper to run than others.

Is the reason you can't see that is because YCBA to read the report on running costs?

As all electric heaters are 100% efficient I can't see how the quantum can be 27% cheaper to run than others.
That depends on how you define efficient, some electric heater manufacturers work out efficiency as "time room required/time heater needs to be on" so if room needed for 2 hours and to heat the room the heater needs to be switched on an hour before hand, then 2/3 x 100 = 66% efficient.

However with a storage heater it is more complex, it would need to be energy required to heat room for 2 hours / energy put into the heater. So in real terms it is down to energy lost while heater not required which is the real thing that needs working out.

So the storage heater in the bedroom would be pointless as you would be loosing heat all day, so you want something to heat up fast so as soon as off peak turns on it is heating bedroom, and lounge/diner wants to store the heat over night and release over the day, so the selection is good.

Only way to improve is to use a central store for heat, i.e. true central heating, but using a central heat store the insulation can be much improved, so with heating output off, the store will take over a week to cool, where most individual units will not store heat for even one day, however the true central heating is more expensive to install and you need space for the heat store.

There are two types of electric central heating I have seen, in a place called Lixwm in Flintshire North Wales in the 70's the council built some council houses with a central heat store, this was in essence a well insulated room in the middle of the house with a heater and bricks in it, and ducts and fans that distributed this heat when required, this clearly needs to be part of the original build can't be added latter.

The other is water
website-1024x768-200x200.jpg
these well insulated tanks allow multi-fuel heating, and in the main are used where solar, solid fuel, electric and LPG are all used to heat the home, I have never seen one used with electric only, however they must be about the most economic way to store heat for use latter, the main advantage is Autumn and Spring where if you have some warm days, heat is not released and even with electric completely off, it will still be hot a week latter. My brother-in-law had one which used energy from solar panels when nothing else was drawing power, he went to Germany regular, and turning heat down a bit in the house it could maintain the house at 16°C without ever using power from the DNO, when at home the wood burner kept everything toasty warm.

I really don't think worth the installation expense, but it is likely the most efficient of all electric systems.

There is also heat pumps, and infrared heating, the latter has control issues, great for a bathroom switch on use room switch off but normal wall thermostats will not regulate it so limited use.

So all in all yes what you suggest is likely the best option, the storage heater says 2.2 kW in will store 15.4 kWh and 1 kW output, so if uncontrolled it would take 12.8 hours to warm up and 12.8 hours to cool down, what is of course hoped is that over night it will not give out 1 kW in fact we hope output is zero which would mean it gains full 15.4 kW in 7 hours, it could then give out an average of 0.9 kW over the day, it will not be zero output at night so average is around 650 watt output. With maximum input at 2.2 kW in 7 hours of 15.4 kWh simple maths average output is 650 watt.

If the unit stated fully charged it will reach half charged in 12 hours with output set to minimum you could compare and work out how much heat would be left when you get home, however they never do, it is such it and see, with Economy 10 rather than Economy 7 the output goes from a 642 Watt average to 917 Watt output average, using the daily boost. In real terms storage heaters worked well in offices, by around 5 pm they were getting cool, but by then everyone was going home, for the house never really that good, cold when you go to bed, gets slowly warmer as night goes on, lovely toasty hot when you leave for work, and hardly anything left when you get home.

If you heat and cool water by 50°C which is reasonable, then to store the same amount of heat as the storage radiator you need 330 litres of water and a standard hot water tank holds around 114 litres, a 250 litre tank costs £716 since less is lost during the day it would likely work, but not included price of pipe work and pumps and radiators, so when you consider how much electric costs, hardly worth while.

Thank you. I am not in the UK and gas is the most expensive heating option here. Oil is our cheapest followed by electric then gas.
I hope you are enjoying the neo-liberal capitalist environment where lack of regulations allows a competitive market to flourish, thus driving down prices to consumers.

I hope you are enjoying the neo-liberal capitalist environment where lack of regulations allows a competitive market to flourish, thus driving down prices to consumers.
Yes, I enjoy living where I do and quite happy that we only have single utility providers. That is the price you pay for living on a small island.

Is the reason you can't see that is because YCBA to read the report on running costs?

No. That report seems to imply they are cheaper due to less heating hysteresis. Not sure I believe the figures though. Certainly if you factor in the initial cost they are not cheap over their lifetime.

That depends on how you define efficient, some electric heater manufacturers work out efficiency as "time room required/time heater needs to be on" so if room needed for 2 hours and to heat the room the heater needs to be switched on an hour before hand, then 2/3 x 100 = 66% efficient.
Which only goes to show how ignorant (uneducated) they are. Efficiency is defined as energy out divided by energy in times 100%.

A friend of mine has the storage heaters and says there great, they look nice too, they seem to be the first choice for a lot of housing associations round here.

Yes, I enjoy living where I do and quite happy that we only have single utility providers. That is the price you pay for living on a small island.
The IoW, whilst larger, has a smaller population than the CI, and yet it does have a choice of suppliers and gas is cheaper than electricity.

It is not the size of your island(s) which is the cause of your prices - they are what they are because of a deliberate decision to charge you and your fellow islanders more.

It's not the price you pay for living on a small island.

The IoW, whilst larger, has a smaller population than the CI, and yet it does have a choice of suppliers and gas is cheaper than electricity.

It is not the size of your island(s) which is the cause of your prices - they are what they are because of a deliberate decision to charge you and your fellow islanders more.

It's not the price you pay for living on a small island.

You are being unfair here. The IW is very close to the mainland and gas and electricity come via undersea pipes and cables. The CI are much further and probably have undersea electric cables (to France perhaps), but I doubt if gas comes this way. Most probably bottled propane which even on the mainland is not much cheaper than electricity.

Am interested to know if I am right here.

Which only goes to show how ignorant (uneducated) they are. Efficiency is defined as energy out divided by energy in times 100%.
Energy out always = energy in, what changes is what part of energy out is wanted, or useable, so we look at how much goes up a flue instead of in house, or how much turned into heat instead of light, depending on if we want or don't want the form or energy or we can't use it, as to if heat absorbed into the fabric of the room can be considered as wasted not sure.

This house is very well insulated, so even if 23 hours between use of each room there is still some heat left, but in the caravan just one hour after heating turned off the caravan is cold.

In the house turning heat off to one room will have little effect, as although great insulation to out side, it is not good room to room, and so my attempts to save money by selecting what times each room is heated has saved very little, today I fitted more selective controls, and while swapping the TRV heads the radiators heated up, and 12 hours latter it is still not settled.

How one can quantify losses where so much is interrelated I don't know, leave a door open and all calculations are up the creak. Old house was open plan, and even worse, it was a battle to stop upstairs rooms over heating.

We can give general advice, however how much heat transfers room to room will have a huge difference to how effective heaters are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back