Electric hoist mounting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at buying one of these to use in my garage to lift loads of up to 250kg

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/020114400/

I am looking for ideas of how best to mount this as high as possible!

The roof in the garage is flat with joists across the span (9ft) the joists are 5x2inch

Would I be able to somehow fasten a metal bar across as many joists as possible without any problems or would I need to find another way?

I was thinking of fastening to at least 8 joists

Any info welcome

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1/4 tonne plus hoist and additional timbers about 1/3tonne total so probably to much weight
additional timbers say 8x2" plus hoist depth say 6" so come in around 14" lower or 350mm below timbers

Just span with a steel to bolt too.

You mean across the garage resting on the walls?

If so I would love to but sadly on one side of the garage where it meets the neighbours its blocked off pretty much level with the wall

Sponsored Links
Rather than fixing it across as many joists as possible, you'd be better of seeing if you can get a scaffold pole to go alongside one of the beams, and if you can get it to rest on each wall, then that's be an even better starting point. Otherwise you'd need to bend some straps to go down each side of the joist, under the pole, (effectively hangint it under a beam) and then back up the other side.

Post and beam was suggested as the way forward.
garage hoist.jpg

It was ignored and the cost was the roof caved in and the car engine being lifted out dropped onto the car's body work. EXPENSIVE

Post and beam was suggested as the way forward.
View attachment 134605

It was ignored and the cost was the roof caved in and the car engine being lifted out dropped onto the car's body work. EXPENSIVE

I think that will be the way to go to be honest!

I won't be lifting engines or anything over cars so no risk of damage to those..... My motorbike is my pride and joy though so I don't want to risk that going over!

i managed to get a £5 off for signing up to the newsletter even thought i have an account but had taken a break from the fairly frequent news letters thats the reason i was looking
dont know what i actually did to get it but might be worth looking round incase you can still get a voucher
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/

Yes I saw that if you sign up they send you a £5 pound discount code

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back