Electric in Australia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know the australian national grid specs up?

what voltage they use on single phase?
3 phase voltages?
is their frequency 50hz?
wiring colours?
do australia have any compliancies such as / equivilant to Part P?
do australian wiring methods tie in with our methods? (loop in methods, different types of radial circuits etc)

cheers

Sponsored Links
try google for the info, something like electricty round the word.

if you search you will see taht australia is worse thn our part p, you basicaly can change a lamp and thats it

www.electricial-contractor.net

mainly a US forum, but has members from australia on there as well (as well as some brits)

But yeah 240v AC 50hz I think, pretty sure 3phase would be the same voltage phase phase, and 120 degrees apart.

Oh, and only members of the electricians union can do electricial work

Adam_151 said:
www.electricial-contractor.net

mainly a US forum, but has members from australia on there as well (as well as some brits)

But yeah 240v AC 50hz I think, pretty sure 3phase would be the same voltage phase phase, and 120 degrees apart.

Just to confirm, the Aussie's employ a similar system as in the UK, well more or less, apart from a few differences. They use red, white and blue for 3 phase is the main difference in wiring. They tend to use radial circuits mainly in houses, and you have to be licensed by the state to perform any electrical work, this includes changing a plug! When I moved out here, I had to sit some exams to get my license, which was a pain, as i was a sparkie in the UK for over 10 years!

Sponsored Links
we dont use red yellow and blue any more either :rolleyes:

aparently red white and blue is from the colours of our flag

breezer said:
if you search you will see taht australia is worse thn our part p, you basicaly can change a lamp and thats it
Adam_151 said:
pommie_sparkie said:
you have to be licensed by the state to perform any electrical work, this includes changing a plug!
And sadly, that obscenely misguided "job protection" racket costs lives. Overall, more people are dying through electrical-related causes in Australia now, not fewer, because the restrictive practices have led to more inappropriate use of non-fixed wiring.

Back