Electric meter and fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I've just bought a property that is very old and has not been lived in for a while. I'm planning on doing it up and moving into there. The problem I have is that the whole of the re-wiring needs doing to the property, however, the electrcial system is on the old fuse wire system. The electric meter looks old (the old clock system) and below it its connected to what looks like a single fuse (black rectangular thing). The way the system is set up is that from the ground comes the main electric wires, these connect into a black rectangular thing that looks like a fuse. These then connect into the meter and then go off into the wire fuses. Can anyone tell me how do I change this over onto a new CU? i.e. is the black rectanguar thing the main fuse? do I just get the wires than out of that and put into a CU?

I would really appreciate help on this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a certified electrician mate.

I consider myself a fairly competent DIY'er even tinker with the CU :oops:
but if the whole installation is aged you will run into some serious trouble

Unfortunately thats the way it is.

A pic would be usful, but the black thing will be the cutout, this and the meter are property of the electricity company and shouldn't be messed with, to replace the consumer unit, the correct way ago isolating it is to call the company and ask them what their procedure is, but some electricians just snip the seal on the cutout fuse (and sometimes they get moaned at for it!)

Changing a consumer unit is notifiable to your local authority WRT building regs, and DIYers should not try and remove cutout fuses as live parts are accesable

I suggest you try and find recomendations for a decent sparky

Thanks for the response...Adam, the cutout - is that something that necessarily needs to be there (maybe a really stupid question!)? I've seen CU set up where the 3-4 leads from the meter just go striaght into the CU - there is no cutout!! Any views?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the cutout/service head is the main fuse for the property and normally protects the network (before the main fuse) being damaged by a fault with the customers installation and is always installed before the meter. Some installations have an isolator between the meter and the CU to save having to break seals on the cutout when working on a CU.

normal setup:

incomming cable-----cutout/service head(main fuse)---meter---isolator(sometimes)----customers CU

The cutout is necessary, yes, it terminates the supply cable and holds the company fuse which protects both the service cable and your consumer unit.

On new services these days, both the service head and the meter are installed in outside meter cabinets, but on older installs both screwed to a piece of chipboard in the hallway is normal, if you are prepared to spend a few hundred quid then you can have the suppliers kit moved into a meter cabinet on the outside wall.

Not quite sure what you saw? possibly a privately metered supply?

Thanks for the responses...i think im starting to understand this a bit better. 1 final question (promise) - if I got the electricity company to move the service head and meter outside how would the wiring to the CU come in (inside the house)? I know it sounds stupid but im just trying to get a better picture

it depends on how far the CU is from the cutout.
Some DNO's only allow a tail length of 2m while others don't care.
Normally you would pull it through the wall at the back of your meter cabinet.
But then again if there is a cavity in the wall it isn't the best idea.

I'd get the DNO out to have a look. They will say yea or neigh and also how much they will charge. I would think that any nice cable jointer would help you reconnect your CU for bacon butties, tea, biscuits or ca$h ;) (may even put in an isolator for you ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back