Help. Very Old Main fuse...need to isloate CU and Meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
yes, the meter and the main fuse belong to the network, not to you, and you must not interfere with them. Looking at your pic it will also be dangerous, put that cover back.

Disconnection must be done by the DNO, they will probably want to fit a new cutout and meter as well.

You can make the request to your electricity supplier (the company that sends you the bill) and they are obliged to pass the request on. You are not expected to know the organisation of companies that owns, maintains, reads and replaces parts of the network. In my experience phone calls are often fobbed off or mishandled, a short businesslike letter will be logged and passed along until it reaches someone who can help.

You can look at the UK DNO map to find out who the Distribution Network Operator is for where you live if you want to contact them direct.
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/AboutElectricity/DistributionCompanies/

Yeah thanks for that Im aware of that... im also aware that this can take weeks which I dont have for various reasons. But thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
Those conductors look way too small for a main supply /fuse.

Can we see pictures of the general service head, meter and the connections inbetween please?

Yeah thanks for that Im aware of that... im also aware that this can take weeks which I dont have for various reasons. But thanks anyway

Ask your widow to update us once it's all been sorted.

im also aware that this can take weeks which I dont have for various reasons.
I think you'll find that being an idiot who can't schedule things properly does not mean you may then do dangerous and illegal things.

Get the DNO - end of.

Ive forgotten how abusive and unpleasant certain people on this forum are. Ive read your posts before Ban and you seem to find pleasure in being an aggressive and unpleasant person. Its a shame as I think these forums are helpful and informative and most people are generally eager to help. I will look elsewhere

Ive forgotten how abusive and unpleasant certain people on this forum are. Ive read your posts before Ban and you seem to find pleasure in being an aggressive and unpleasant person.
I don't.

I'm shouting at you not out of aggression but because you weren't hearing what others were telling you.

And if you find it unpleasant to be called an idiot, that'll be because you find the truth about yourself unpleasant.

Its a shame as I think these forums are helpful and informative and most people are generally eager to help.
You will find nobody here eager to help you with your idiocy.

I will look elsewhere
Good.

Bye, then.

I think these forums are helpful and informative and most people are generally eager to help.
Some people can't be helped, because they post here wanting a certain answer, and then repeat the question multiple times and get annoyed when they don't get the answer they wanted.

That is a fused neutral set up and MUST be dealt with by your DNO without delay!

Ring their emergency number and report it as soon as possible, in the mean time do not interfere with it in any way means or form.

Your DNO is Scottish Power if your Edinburgh location is correct

Dear Cat,

Without being offensive or abusive in any way. Do not touch that ceramic based main fuse. It may blow up in your face. Very unreliable which gets worse with age.

The DNO should've upgraded that around the turn of the 1920's (guesstimate).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back