electric meter and gas meter locations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive been using these forums and have found them a god send. I ve just registered and im hoping to gain a little bit of info. I would like my electric meter moved from the inside to the outside. At the moment the gas meter is outside and the electric meter is almost dead opposite on the inside wall. Before I approach the owners of the meter I would like to know if there are any regs regarding how close the meters can be to each other. There is not enough wall space on the outside wall to have the meters side by side. Ideally I would like the electric meter and board above the gas meter. Would be grateful for any advice. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Friends house, (3 years old from new), has them side by side in an indoor cupboard with just a 15mm fire board as a separator. So can't see any problems with your idea. Just need to have adequate segregation.

For "afterthought" meter moves, the incoming cable feed is usually through a piece of curved pipe (aka "hockey stick)/

This usually comes up on the outside wall from ground level into the bottom of the meter cupboard.

How would you plan to route yours. The gas meter cabinet would be in the way.

Assuming you are talking about outside viewing cabinets, as long as a route can be agreed there is no reason why not. Retro fitting a cabinet in a wall needs to be thought through carefully though

Sponsored Links
If you are on the ground floor then changing the gas meter box to a semi-concealed box at ground level will free up the space on the wall for the electricity box to go where the gas meter box was.

There is a picture of a semi-concealed box here

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/4F88238A-31CA-40CA-AA3B-4109C56FB796/5781/S000238...

and dimensions half way down this page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/040.asp

It does require a change of meter so you may be without gas for a day or two if the box changer and the meter changer cannot be there on the same day.

For "afterthought" meter moves, the incoming cable feed is usually through a piece of curved pipe (aka "hockey stick)/ This usually comes up on the outside wall from ground level into the bottom of the meter cupboard. How would you plan to route yours. The gas meter cabinet would be in the way.
Not aesthetically very pleasing, but presumably a small horizontal offset between the two cabinets would allow the hockey stick to travel beside the side of the gas meter cabinet and thence into the bottom of the electricity one?

Kind Regards, John.

Yes, you would need to look very carefully at the integrity of the wall if a recessed cabinet were used. Maybe a lintel would be needed.

thanks for all your replies. ive added a couple of pics of the gas meter outside and the electric meter inside.
Why couldn't the electricity meter cabinet go beside the gas one, under the window? Whatever that down pipe goes into may be a problem with changing the gas cabinet to a semi-concealed one, per Bernard's suggestion.

Kind Regards, John.

If you are on the ground floor then changing the gas meter box to a semi-concealed box at ground level will free up the space on the wall for the electricity box to go where the gas meter box was.

There is a picture of a semi-concealed box here

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/4F88238A-31CA-40CA-AA3B-4109C56FB796/5781/S000238...

and dimensions half way down this page

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/040.asp

It does require a change of meter so you may be without gas for a day or two if the box changer and the meter changer cannot be there on the same day.

thanks for the useful info. think this might be the most practical way of doing things

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back