Electric meter in the way of my extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AFF1288A-B0A4-4AA9-AA6F-BF3329391DF9.jpeg
View attachment 136309 Can anyone advise on my what to do with my gas and electric meters outside the side gable of my house as I want an extension building and they are in the way where the front wall is going
Where they are now I want an internal door to new room
What should I do ?
I have tried to attach images

Attachments

• 69665F12-3ABF-4718-936F-B70CA0C257BF.png
    69665F12-3ABF-4718-936F-B70CA0C257BF.png
    279.8 KB · Views: 389
Sponsored Links
Discuss the new location with the Gas transporter ( Probably Cadent, previously National Grid ) and for the electric meter contact the DNO for your area

http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/electricity-distribution-map.htm

The boxes need to be located in a position to where the existing supplies can be easily re-routed. Other wise you may have a much larger bill for a new service connection.

( You should delete your address details from the image )

Last edited:
You can get the new boxes from Frazers in Radcliffe, not too far from you.

Sponsored Links
Are they 2 white boxes like the old ones or is the gas a different brown box that sits on the floor
So should I situate them on the front wall of the extension

So should I situate them on the front wall of the extension
That would require the gas and electricity to be disconnected from the existing meters and capped off until the new wall was built and the boxes in place. The DNO might say that the electricity supply could be relocated to a temporary meter location in the garden so that electricity was still available during the build process.

If it were my project then I would have a semi concealed gas meter ( brown box that sits in the ground ) and electricity meter above

new g e.jpg

What’s DNO?
Can I get them both moved temporarily?
Will it not cost more for 2 visits to reconnect them?
Would they use the old meters or would they gas/electric board supply new meters?

DNO = Distribution Network Operator

Energy Networks Association (ENA) is the voice of the networks, representing the ‘wires and pipes’ transmission and distribution network operators for gas and electricity in the UK and Ireland.

Moving the electricity meter to a temporary location can be done by the DNO if the supply cable in still flexible enough to bend to reach the temporary location and also still be long enough to reach the final location of the meter when the box is ready in the final position. Ask the DNO as they will be the people doing the work.

Moving the gas meter to a temporary location is possible but will be expensive as gas supply pipes are not flexible and would need cutting and jointing.

Shall we move just the one then that’s in the way of the wall

Skeff - nothing can happen without the involvement of the people who own, and are the only ones who can move, the cables and pipes.

You need to be asking them what the options are for final position, intermediate temporary positions etc.

I think you'll have more bother with that low pitched roof/velux's than your gas/electric meters:unsure:

Ideally, you want them accessible for the meter readers, even when you're out. But it's not mandatory.
Skeff - neither, BTW, are smart meters. If as part of this they say you have to have one, and you don't want one, push back.

Ive just had an electric meter moved which involved them supplying 4m of cable.
Took them less than an hour, cost £950 that included a so called connection charge which is a joke as the connection was only to an isolation switch so I had to have an electrician on hand to connect the meter tails to it.
litl
edit:that was the consumer unit tails

Last edited:
£950 seems about right.

We did one last year and that was move from inside to out, original design was a 2m move but ended up being about a 4m move and was just over £1000 I think, with the onsite builders doing the digging.

There are 3rd party companies you can use, at least for electricity, but from my experience, they are often no cheaper than the DNO, but their availability is much better. Think WPD generally work on about a 6 week waiting list (not your DNO so may vary) if this is too long, you may need to look at a 3rd party.

The other thing to consider is how you are going to get new meter tails from your new meter cabinet to consumer unit. If they're more than 3m long they will need additional overcorrent protection (a switch fuse) which, depending on your DNO may need to go in a separate meter cabinet and not the one you provide for them (annoying I know, WPD have let us get away with it in the past but you've got to sweet talk the guy doing it) and if the cables are to be concealed in the fabric of the building, and not SWA, then they will need RCD protection.

RCD protection and overcorrect protection can be achieved by use of a small metal enclosure with an RCD and fuse carrier (or MCB if you want to spend more than is necessary)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back