Electric meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother is with Eon and they have emailed him saying
"we just wanted to let you know your electricity meter has reached the end of its life. When this happens there’s a legal obligation to check and exchange your meter with a new one."

They then go on to imply, without actually saying so, that the replacement has to be a smart meter. Seems odd to me. His current meter is electronic, with date, time etc as well as the readings so sceptical that it's at the end of its life. I have a much older meter with cyclometer type figures, and nobody has said mine needs replacing. Like me, he doesn't want a smart meter, having heard enough bad stories about them.

Anybody comment?

Sponsored Links
AFAIR you can request a dumb meter
As I often say, although I often see/hear that being said, the Service Agreement/Contract that I am deemed to have signed (by using their electricity) includes my agreement that the supplier can install whatever "metering and other equipment" in my house which they see fit in connection with providing an electricity supply.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps they are trying it on.
They usually do, for obvious reasons - although I suppose it's probably increasingly true that they may not keep in stock (maybe even find hard to source) 'dumb' meters?
Nevertheless, it is still possible to refuse a smart meter.
So many people say. However, as I've just written, my contract seems to say that if I want a continuing electricity supply, I 'agree' that they can install whatever metering equipment 'they see fit' in my house.

Kind Regards, John

However, as I've just written, my contract seems to say that if I want a continuing electricity supply, I 'agree' that they can install whatever metering equipment 'they see fit' in my house.
As I've just written, perhaps they are trying it on.

As I've just written, perhaps they are trying it on.
I'm not really sure what you mean. If, contractually, I have agreed (or am deemed to have agreed) that a condition of my receiving an electricity supply is that the supplier may install any metering equipment that they see fit, there's nothing tor them to "try on", is there?

... or are you suggesting that such a condition in a contract is in some way 'illegal' or 'invalid'?

Kind Regards, John

That's a statement of the government's position - and, as you imply, the government are not saying that having a 'smart' meter is compulsory.

However, that's different from the commercial/contractual situation. As far as I am aware, any supplier is free to impose whatever conditions (within reason!) in its contracts as it wishes - so I doubt that there is anything preventing a particular supplier from saying that it will only provide an electricity supply to consumers prepared to have a 'smart' meter.

If every supplier did that, such that people who refused to have 'smart' meters would not bee able to get an electricity supply from anywhere, then the government (or Ofgem) would probably have to intervene in some way, but we are a very long way from that situation.

That's a statement of the government's position - and, as you imply, the government are not saying that having a 'smart' meter is compulsory.

However, that's different from the commercial/contractual situation. As far as I am aware, any supplier is free to impose whatever conditions (within reason!) in its contracts as it wishes - so I doubt that there is anything preventing a particular supplier from saying that it will only provide an electricity supply to consumers prepared to have a 'smart' meter.

If every supplier did that, such that people who refused to have 'smart' meters would not bee able to get an electricity supply from anywhere, then the government (or Ofgem) would probably have to intervene in some way, but we are a very long way from that situation.

Change supplier then

And when I eventually get one, I’ll be wrapping it in silver foil

Change supplier then
I don't want or need to.
And when I eventually get one, I’ll be wrapping it in silver foil
If that achieved what you intended,I suspect that such 'interference' would probably be in breach of your Service Agreement.

I don't need to use silver foil, since the very thick walls of my hose seem to work at least as well.

Just accept the smart meter, I've had them for many years without a single issue.

It seems I don't NEED a smart meter, however if I want a tariff which gives me low cost power, then I do need one installing. I will be unlikely to tell me anything I don't already know, I will be interested when it is fitted on the 28th to actually see what it does tell me.

But as said not forced to have one, there are billing agents who do not require them to be fitted, but they charge more or pay less for the energy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back