Octopus want to fit a Smart meter!

Sponsored Links
Maybe they have recruited the old Bulb team. Bulb used to ask me weekly to install a smart meter.
find the communication section and untick the box saying special offers from our-----

I think this will be the next stage to force people to get smart meters,

"Hi, your meter has reached the end of its lifetime and needs to be exchanged. We've asked our installation partner SMS Plc to contact you to arrange an installation. Or you can book now by calling our installation partner SMS Plc on 03300945231"

Sponsored Links
That website is no more than a smart meter promotion scheme. Notable absences from the 'disadvantages' - remote disconnection & hacking. The privacy disadvantage is downplayed. Anyway conventional wisdom here and other places is that smart meters are not complusory at this point, you cliam they are if the meter is faulty or out of certification, got anything to back up your claims (like a link to the legislation)?

You can't refuse a Smart Meter if yours is faulty or out of certification.
Again, possibly..
Appocryphally, I have read that the suppliers could use this mode, if the consumer refused a smart meter (which they are entitled to do), but no older style meters were available.
But these are from some slightly more reputable sources - Which:

Screenshot_20230308-092015_Chrome.jpg

And Citizens advice:

Screenshot_20230308-092432_Chrome.jpg

Some suppliers offered cheaper tariffs, subject to you having SM's.
I suppose I must be wrong, but I must say that I thought that most (maybe even all?) of the tariffs offered by Octopus were dependent upon one having a 'smart' meter?

Kind Regards, John

I just joined them and no, you don't need a smart meter. However no-one is currently offering much in the way of tariffs - something to do with the energy crisis.

I suppose I must be wrong, but I must say that I thought that most (maybe even all?) of the tariffs offered by Octopus were dependent upon one having a 'smart' meter?

Not having bothered to research it, I bow to your superior knowledge. However, all tariffs are very similar at moment, due to the cap.

I just joined them and no, you don't need a smart meter. However no-one is currently offering much in the way of tariffs - something to do with the energy crisis.
Again, I suppose I must be wrong but I thought that, uniquely, Octopus are offering various fancy 'dynamic' tariffs which are necessarily dependent on having a 'smart meter'?

You are obviously right in saying that, by virtue of 'the crisis', no (or virtually no) supplier is currently offering any 'fixed price' tariffs, but that doesn't stop them offering (''smart'-meter-dependent) TOU tariffs (at prices which are not fixed).

Kind Regards, John

I'm with Octopus and have a smart meter, and to be honest the anti-smart meter arguments are a bit lost on me. My meter works fine, I don't have to submit meter readings, I've been able to make a few pounds with the demand reduction scheme they ran this winter, and I don't fear my meter being switched to prepay as I pay my bills.

It also does allow me to use some tariffs that can save money which you cant get if you have a dumb meter. I moved onto the octopus tracker the other month (before they introduced a limit on how many could switch per day) and I believe that they have made a smart meter a mandatory requirement for it now. Because of my smart meter I am able to get my gas for 5.75p/kWh today, and my electric for 24.15p/kWh today - quite a saving.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Not having bothered to research it, I bow to your superior knowledge. However, all tariffs are very similar at moment, due to the cap.
As I've just written to Detlef, virtually everyone is now on 'variable rate' tariffs, subject to the 'caps', but that doesn't preclude dynamic TOU-based tariffs (which are obviously dependent on 'smart' meters) - which I thought Octopus were (uniquely) offering. However, as I keep saying, I may be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

I'm with Octopus and have a smart meter, and to be honest the anti-smart meter arguments are a bit lost on me. My meter works fine, I don't have to submit meter readings, I've been able to make a few pounds with the demand reduction scheme they ran this winter, and I don't fear my meter being switched to prepay as I pay my bills.

It also does allow me to use some tariffs that can save money which you cant get if you have a dumb meter. I moved onto the octopus tracker the other month (before they introduced a limit on how many could switch per day) and I believe that they have made a smart meter a mandatory requirement for it now. Because of my smart meter I am able to get my gas for 5.75p/kWh today, and my electric for 24.15p/kWh today - quite a saving.
that is interesting. I wonder if Bulb under Octopus will offer that.

that is interesting. I wonder if Bulb under Octopus will offer that.
I would assume you will just become an Octopus customer. I was with Avro Energy before they went bankrupt and Octopus took their customers on. Once I was moved over and my octopus online account became active I noticed the option to ask for a smart meter on the website and thought I'd go for it. To my mind the benefits of a smart meter outweighed the negatives and thought time of use tariffs opened up the chance for savings if done right - and from my experience so far I'd say I made the right call.

Quite right. I swapped to SM's almost as soon as they were offered, and I've never had any of the problems the conspiracy theorists have put forward. Likewise, I have always paid my bills and via DD, though I am in a bit of debt at the moment due to BG's miscalculating, and I'm making them wait for payment. No skin off my nose, I could pay them off tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back