Octopus want to fit a Smart meter!

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Octopus tell me my electric meter is out of date and want to fit a Smart Meter and I'm not keen on that. I would welcome comments on this.

Sponsored Links
You do not have to have a smart meter -

although they might penalise you financially if you refuse by allegedly charging less if you do have one.

they are also likely to say none of the old style are produced and available , so you have no choice - seen this on the forum before - or maybe a different forum, but i know that was also an issue

Sponsored Links
Octopus keep bugging me, too. They mainly tell me that it'll be cheaper to have one which I can't understand.

They've also once said on the phone that my meter (a Sangamo S200.31) is "getting old". It was said while I was querying my bill with somebody who couldn't really tell me why it was. It is stamped "Property of East Midlands Electricity".

i think they have to be replaced every 10 years ....
There must be thousands if they are replacing them with smart meters.
Yep, an all still in calibration and valid - but any excuse i guess and chances are they may just dump the old ones or send off to recycle the components , i dont know

we are getting less and less choice and told what to do - my contract for broadband and phone has just renewed , (other half wants a landline phone) and now we have to use VOIP !!!! openreach are shutting down the network in 2025 ......... and all have to be VOIP or digital Voice - i see many issues with this as well..

To be fair to the suppliers, they are being forced to do it by the Government with quotas to meet.

I see in the local facebook page where people have asked for smart meters, and they can't fit them here in Mid Wales, so clearly they can still fit standard meters.

I know my father-in-law had one fitted, and they were going to tell us how to read what was being used on the internet, we felt this was a good idea, as if he is boiling a kettle every so often, he is clearly OK, we did expect only my bother-in-law may have access as he was one with power of lasting attorney, however he died before we every got the links, so it was all rather pointless.

The old style meters have a certified life as regards calibration. Years ago they would be swapped out once that date was met. The meters would be stripped, overhauled, calibrated and then installed in another property. Those that failed were scrapped. The certified life was established through removal and testing depending on the type of meter.

East midlands finally ceased to exist as an entity in 2004 so the absolute newest your meter could be is 19 years old however it may have been recertified more recently. It could also date from 1994 or before in which case your meter is possibly approaching 30 years old or more.

The newer small meters are cheaper to buy than it is to overhaul an older black meter.

I am with Octopus and have a smart meter with no problems.

Yes there are horror stories of forcing customers onto pre payment, cutting off power supplies etc remotely but if you pay your bills why would you be worried (rhetorical question).

When I did have a problem they gave me a nominated member of the customer service staff with to liaise until it was resolved.

Yes I did a bit of reading into them. Saw the 1994 date and presumed it was the fallout from Maggie or Major's great big 'sell off'.

I understand it's simpler for them just to strip out and fit the new ones. Until it's law though, I'm happy providing my monthly readings and paying the invoice. I don't see why it should be cheaper for me to have one, and I do have concerns over having my electricity supply connected to the internet, too -- maybe I'm a little paranoid.

I see in the local facebook page where people have asked for smart meters, and they can't fit them here in Mid Wales, so clearly they can still fit standard meters
Smart meters can still be fitted, but would be left in a 'dumb' mode.

Appocryphally, I have read that the suppliers could use this mode, if the consumer refused a smart meter (which they are entitled to do), but no older style meters were available.

...afterall, the smart meter isn't that smart without its separate communications module!

Last edited:
Maybe they have recruited the old Bulb team. Bulb used to ask me weekly to install a smart meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back