Electric only Heating & Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone, this is my first post.
Appreciate that this topic has been used before, however moved into my 2 bed flat and just myself living there. Currently on Eco7 with one old storage heater in lounge/kitchen as open plan) but all other rooms are on normal electric rate old convector heaters. Hot water has Eco7 immersion and top up immersion in hot water cylinder that is a larger 1200 x 450 green insulated cylinder. There is a electric cold water feed shower that has poor pressure. The hot water cylinder only serves kitchen and bathroom sink Also bath but do not use this.
Potentially looking to downsize hot water tank as don't need to heat that much water and potentially get rid of storage heaters??? and go on one electric tariff??

Looking for the best efficient way to heat flat and hot water?
Any ideas or anyone tradesmen in High Wycombe area that can quote?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I had such a flat, I would replace cylinder with similar size unvented cylinder and storage radiators with electric wet radiators

Electric boilers though a "little out of fashion" at the moment, they are very compact reliable and cheap to buy, will happily run radiators, in-fact they sound ideal for your small flat.
Use a small high recovery cylinder to save extra space.
Nothing wrong at all with your thinking. https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/gold-electric-boiler-4kw#.V6WLqqZwbct

If you have poor cold water pressure the last thing you want is an unvented cylinder!!!

servotech,

If it was my flat I would keep the off peak tarriff.

I would connect the top up immersion element to the off peak.

Then buy a new storage heater for the bedroom.

The electric shower heater may well not be connected to the mains water and to a loft tank instead. So I would investigate that and if necessary connect to the mains.

Little expenditure and lots of improvements.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If it was my flat I would keep the off peak tariff.

I would connect the top up immersion element to the off peak.

Then buy a new storage heater for the bedroom.

The electric shower heater may well not be connected to the mains water and to a loft tank instead. So I would investigate that and if necessary connect to the mains.

Little expenditure and lots of improvements.

Tony

Thanks for input. DP by electric wet radiators do you mean oil lr water filled and my cold water feed has got good pressure, what sort of pressure would be needed for an unvented cylinder and price for these?
Servotech the electric boiler sounds like a good idea but i dont neccasially want to run a wet system as i reckon would be too costly. But could they be ideal for hot water taps?
Agile the only thing for getting rid of off peak rate is so the day rate would be cheaper as i work shifts so use electric during the day. But will look into the cold water feed for the shower.

In that case, I've not understood your first post.
I thought that you were planning to replace storage heaters with a small vented wet radiator system (containing water).

You could certainly fit a new 900 x 450 cylinder with an immersion heater and size down that large cylinder and you should save some cash
A small instantaneous unvented electric water heater (removing the cylinder and storage cws) is worth looking at, if you don't use much H/W

Anything less than 2 bar water pressure would be a disaster on an unvented system

Thanks for input. DP by electric wet radiators do you mean oil lr water filled and my cold water feed has got good pressure, what sort of pressure would be needed for an unvented cylinder and price for these?
Servotech the electric boiler sounds like a good idea but i dont neccasially want to run a wet system as i reckon would be too costly. But could they be ideal for hot water taps?
Agile the only thing for getting rid of off peak rate is so the day rate would be cheaper as i work shifts so use electric during the day. But will look into the cold water feed for the shower.

The radiator looks like ordinary radiator, only it is heated by electricity to give off heat like standard radiator. Ideally suited if you are on shifts to heat your place on demand instead of time lagged storage heaters

would connect the top up immersion element to the off peak.

So when there is no hot water, now you cannot heat water by top up immersion heater as it is Connected to off peak power and that supply is not available on demand

Dan, is there a standing charge for having off peak? If not then lower event to off peak and upper to on demand. Shower to unvented cylinder

Do you hear water filling a storage cistern after you have flushed a toilet or run a bath. My daughter had a flat with mix of off peak and standard heaters, hot water cylinder with cold water storage cistern above it and an electric shower in the onsuite toilet. Replaced the cistern and cylinder with UV cylinder with off peak heating the cylinder

Her present flat has UV cylinder and afore mentioned wet radiators that can heat room at touch of a switch.

What's your main requirement?
Reduce the HW cylinder size or heat the rooms with the standard tariff panel heaters?

Depending on any unusual habits you may have, the main consumption of electricity is on water and space heating.

If these are done during the night they are available in the stored form for your use during the daytime.

The only thing which is not is the electric on demand shower but if you limit your shower time this is only about 10 p a shower.

The standing charges is usually about 30 p a day and so not very important as long as it entitles you to the cheapest electricity which is always that consumed during the night.

For someone with a job any saving are going to be minimal
with your system and so the less you spend the better.

I have a customer with a similar scenario to you. He hardly uses any power.

Tony

Thanks a lot for all the help. The main requirment that i want is to have more control of hot water and heating and being as cost effective. As it is electric i appreciate more expensive than gas so want to get it right. The current one storege heater isnt that efficent at keeping heat until evening, so instead of buying new storage heater is it worth changing the set up.
I prefer the sound of unvented cyclinder as long as water pressure allows if not then smaller vented cyclinder with immersion on timer. Also the wet radiators look good, just to check are these what you mean:
http://www.electrorad.co.uk/digi-line-radiators
DP are the monthly bills for you daughter reasonable as not using Eco7 and what is an average price for parts and i stallation of an unvented system?

The main requirment that i want is to have more control of hot water and heating and being as cost effective
Provided the cylinder is properly insulated, hot water costs are minimal. A smaller cylinder will not be noticeably cheaper, it's the amount of hot water used which affects the cost, not how much the cylinder contains.
If you get a tiny cylinder, then you should also remove the bath as well, since there is no point in having a bath which is impossible to use.

If you want to heat the rooms for a substantial proportion out of each 24 hours, then storage heaters on E7 will be the cheapest option by far.
If you only require rooms heating for a couple of hours here and there, then any convector or oil filled heaters on a standard single rate tarrif will do.

Whether those heaters cost £50 or £500, have electronic controls or a rotary knob, are made from cheap steel or overpriced Italian aluminium alloys with special thermal gels and ceramic composites inside changes nothing. 1kW in = 1kW out.
Wet radiators with an electric boiler are no cheaper to run either - but there will be substantial disruption and cost to have such a system installed.

Not that expensive to fit as there is no water connection.

But on peak electric heating is very expensive to run at about 30p per hour per room!

That adds up!

Tony

As said; chances are your cheapest way to upgrade is to retain the existing HW cylinder, replace the panel heaters with storage type electrical heaters & minimise the use of heaters that's on standard tariff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back