Electric or gas Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our STOVES gas oven has packed up. So should we replace it with a new gas oven or electric oven?
If we go down the Electric oven can I take a 6mm cable connectionfrom a 16mm cable feeding a seldom used electric shower and add an RCD switch adjacent to the oven?
Bill

Sponsored Links
Gas ovens are wasteful, the gas flame is on all the time, but gas costs less, electric has all sorts of options like closed door grilling, so in the main electric is better.

As to supply shower should be RCD protected, but as to taking a spur, not a good idea as oven should have no more than a 32 amp overload and likely shower over that limit.

A gas oven only applies sufficient heat to keep the temperature at the setpoint...the burner is modulated.
Do NOT get a gas oven with an integral grill to a main oven..it will clog up with roasting fat.

Do you not already have a cooker circuit?

Maybe it has been changed to shower circuit.

No reason why you cannot have more than 32A overload protection for a cooker - not that you need more; it depends on the cable size.

Sponsored Links
I find a gas oven puts a better skin on a rice pudding, and does not make the house smell of hot fat when roasting.

Ovens do vary, ours has 12 options, there are heaters top, side and back, and a fan and one can select different combinations, some even have a steam option. The same in a way to old solid fuel where dampers charge how oven is heated, but with addition of the fan, by using top and fan for example you can grill with door closed only turning food once.

The problem is books like Mrs Beaton were re-written to include the approximate gas heat, and the instructions on damper use was removed, so when we got ours only the manufacturers cook book tells you how to use the features.

Gas cookers be it oven or hob are great in the winter, they warm up the whole kitchen, but not so good in the summer, you want the heat in the food not the kitchen, and electric ovens and induction hobs means the kitchen stays cooler, only down side is electric cookers are useless when using a wok, those which will work with electric are too heavy.

... but with addition of the fan, by using top and fan for example you can grill with door closed only turning food once.
How does that differ from 'baking' (which most people seem to call 'roasting')?

Kind Regards, John

How does that differ from 'baking' (which most people seem to call 'roasting')?

Kind Regards, John
With a standard grill most of the heat is inferred onto top of food, with closed door grilling the fan results in some heat under the food as well. So combination of heat below and above, and so you can grill only turning food once.

Many thanks guys. To answer one or two questions. i]yes it is a 16mm supply to the shower, 2] cooking rice put could swing it to electric stove.
One last question our cooker is in immaculate condition so is it possible to repair it. STOVES tell me they can't get the parts anymore {It's 20 years old]. It will work if
we keep the oven light button depressed but goes off if we release it. Is it possible for an electricion to sort the internal wiring out?
Bill

With a standard grill most of the heat is inferred onto top of food ...
Indeed - that is what I understand by 'grilling'.
.... with closed door grilling the fan results in some heat under the food as well. So combination of heat below and above ....
As I implied, I would call that baking/roasting, not grilling.

If one has a fan that circulates the heat throughout the oven cavity, what would you do differently if you were (a) roasting/baking or (b) grilling (with closed door), say a pork chop?

Kind Regards, John

Is it possible for an electrician to sort the internal wiring out?
Only if they are also Gas Safe registered.
Dismantling a gas appliance is gas work, even through the problem may be electrical.

Parts may be available from other sources, the manufacturer is likely to be more interested in just selling you a new appliance.

I would call that baking/roasting, not grilling.
It is a combination of all, and it works well. The ability to select how the oven is heated may be an advantage to the cook, but only after they have learnt how to use it, the old solid fuel ovens had dampers to direct the flue gases in different ways around the oven, remember the song and the smoke goes up the chimney just the same? But with the gas oven that ability was lost, and also the burning of the gas caused the food to be kept damp, we now have electric ovens with steam to do the same, without however subjecting food to other flue gases, what we found was with built in ovens the power used was normally limited to 3kW, so where the heat was to come from two or more elements it swapped every minute between elements, but for a stand alone with a 6kW supply both elements came on together, so although claimed to have same functions the stand alone one worked far better. Also the stand alone had knobs to control the hob, but the built in had silly touch controls.

It is a combination of all, and it works well. The ability to select how the oven is heated may be an advantage to the cook, but only after they have learnt how to use it, the old solid fuel ovens had dampers to direct the flue gases in different ways around the oven, remember the song and the smoke goes up the chimney just the same? But with the gas oven that ability was lost, and also the burning of the gas caused the food to be kept damp, we now have electric ovens with steam to do the same, without however subjecting food to other flue gases,

Thanks, I had not even thought about any of that - I'm no cook, I leave such matters to SWMBO and I don't think she has had much practice at cooking. She probably never had the time before. She has been busy for months testing recipes on me and collecting the ones I give approval of :)

I only recently found out why UK gas hobs are so poor on control of the intermediate settings. I did wonder why they all seemed to be either full on, or almost off, with difficulty getting anything between. Our hob burner's grid have a large gaps over the burners, I was looking for some means to fill in the gap between the X to stop pans tipping. I managed to solve it by moving pans once up to temperature, by balancing to one side of the burners - so just the pan edge is in the flame.

I used to leave the cooking entirely to SWMBO, whilst I was away at work, but now the boot is on the other foot - I'm at home all day, whilst she is at work. She preps the meal in the morning before work, then I cook in time for her getting home in the early evening. So first time in charge of the stove :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back