Electric oven 'exploded'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night our electric oven suddenly stopped in a big shower of sparks inside before the fuse blew, leaving the oven full of smoke.

It's a double oven and after resetting the fuse we found:
  1. The small top oven works fine
  2. The main oven light and fan work, but it doesn't appear to heat up
I assume the element is in some way shot but can anyone offer a diagnosis further? Could something have shorted out?

Sponsored Links
Quite likely the element has failed ,but checks need be carried out to confirm this. When you say it blew a fuse and you re set it , do you mean it tripped a switch on your consumer unit ( you may refer to it as your fuse board) .if so what tripped ?? MCB ,RCD ,RCBO ?

One of our big 32A fuses tripped.

A mate told me what to do, this is what I found:
IMG_20180101_170050.jpg
IMG_20180101_170434.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yeah, pretty easy to access and remove once I knew what to look for. Replacement about £20 from a quick Google.

One question, it's a double oven do with the main element removed is it ok to turn on, like a light socket with no bulb, to use the top oven?

Not whilst you have the cables that go to that element slopping about , uninsulated . better to leave the electric supply to the appliance isolated and don't use it until its repaired .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back