Electric oven spur from ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for some advice. I'm installing a new kitchen, i've knocked down a wall and all my sockets were on it. I've moved a few to the desired locations. However i've got concrete floors and it isn't easy for me to run a new 6mm radial circuit for the cooker.
I propose to spur from the ring main to run my cooker using 2.5mm. Its only a single oven that i'll be powering. About 3KW.
Is this feasible.

Danny

Sponsored Links
3kw is 12.5A so its feasable yes. you cpuld put plug and flex on or come off an fcu. having said that your in the process of doing your kitchen so why not go to the trouble of putting a cooker circuit in.

that way it future proofs it because you may not always have the current cooker! :LOL:

id definetly be putting new cooker point in, it doesnt necessaily mean lots of upheaval, theyre are a few options.

are you aware of part p also?

If you're rebuilding your kitchen this would be the best time to trough out the floor and sink some conduits for your cables. Surprisingly, I found it was possible with a club hammer and bolster, but it would be an advantage to groove it first with your angle grinder.

I know i should run a new radial circuit but it's more work.
It will cause problems in the future if i decide to change from a gas hob to an electric one.
Fortunately Part P doesn't come into effect up here in Scotland so no worries there. Although all work is being carried out by competent persons.
Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
sorry dan, didnt realise you were up there in scotland out of the range of the part p police! :LOL:

its your call mate but i would be considering adding a cooker circuit.... i always like to future proof if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back