Electric Oven Supply Modification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYers,

After many hours of trying to find a straight answer online I decided it was time to ask.

I have a 32A cooker control unit (and fused circuit) with a 13A socket in it, this is above the work top. There is a single outlet behind the unit under the worktop (32A) for the cooker.

What I want to do is use this for a new built in electric oven as instructed in the installation instructions but I also need to generate a 13A socket for the gas hob igniter below the counter level. I would like it to be controlled from the cooker isolation switch above the hob along side the oven.

It occurred to me it would the easiest to spur wire a surface mounted socket into the outlet along side the the cooker supply. Some people seem to think this is OK some others not. Obviously the hob will be fused through the plug supplied if I use a socket.

Is there a better way of doing it that does not cost the earth? The hob igniter cant use much power can it? If I did run a spur cable from the 32A supply could I use standard electrical cable (for a 13A fused device) to the surface mounted socket? Also wat fuse should I put in the igniter, I assume 3A or 5A would be OK?

I don't want to spend much money now as I we are not well off and I will have to rewire the house at some point anyway. This is just to be safe!

Sponsored Links
Your new oven, what are the connection requirements for it?
What is its power requirement.

Many single ovens these days come with a 13A plug, so you could just swop the cooker outlet point for a double socket and plug the oven and the gas igniter in. job done.

Let me know about the oven so can advise further.

re
I will have to rewire the house at some point anyway. This is just to be safe!

Rewiring a house is not such an easy task. You will have to comply with BS7671, do you know about that? You will have to have, or access to, calibrated test equipment and the nouse to use it and understand the results. OK so far?

If you are convinced you can DIY it then you'll need to notify the local authority FIRST and pay their fee. They will want to inspect the work at regular stages to make sure you are complying with the standards.

Otherwise you are going to need to emplay a registered electrician.
Check out the WIKI //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law to understand why.

Hi Thanks for the rapid response.

The oven draws 3650 max power so I guess that is a shade over 15A so it will need to go into the cooker outlet plate.

No worries about the rewiring I have no intention of attempting that! I will leave that to the professionals. I was wondering if the socket was something I could both attempt and would be safe for the interim period.

MI's on a gas ignition for hob usually ask for 3A supply.
The ovens' max output is 3650, so looking at 16A even with diversity you not going to get much less than the max output current plus the 5Amp for socket.
But you have 32A supply current, So I can't see any electrical reason why a 3A spur cannot be taken from the cooker outlet plate.

Sponsored Links
Great, I thought as much as an after thought was is the insulation capacity of standard sockets, i understand they are are meant for 13A but I was am just curious about voltage and current limits.

Regards
John

They are designed to supply an appliance with a plug that is generally rated no higher than 13A.
A 13A socket outlet is a generic term, in reality a socket outlet is rated higher than 13A. You would expect at least 26A, as this could happen when two 13A rated appliances are on load at a double socket outlet.
But I understand it is nearer 20A.

Thanks for the responses so far, those plus reading older posts I am happy to do the job. Many thanks.

Can you do it safely and will it work yes. Oven from cooker point and no more than 3 meters of surface mounted cable to 13A socket would work and be relatively safe.

Can one do it and comply with regulations and law. Unlikely.

1) Part P raises it's head.
2) RCD protection for sockets could be a problem. Although if marked hob only likely there would be no problem.

Can you do it safely and will it work yes. Oven from cooker point and no more than 3 meters of surface mounted cable to 13A socket would work and be relatively safe.

Can one do it and comply with regulations and law. Unlikely.

1) Part P raises it's head.
2) RCD protection for sockets could be a problem. Although if marked hob only likely there would be no problem.
or put it on a FCU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back