Electric oven wiring inlet close to gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm just an unlucky DIY'er or this is the way of things, but am currently having a few teething problems fitting a replacement kitchen.

Latest obstacle is the oven is 550mm deep, but there's a gas pipe (that I only had made on Friday) that once the oven is fitted is about 10/15mm from the electrical cable inlet of the oven.

Once the oven is fixed in place, and there's space to run the cable away from the gas pipe, is this considered ok?

The gas guy did put a bend in the new pipe to allow more room at the back, and we didn't have the oven at the time but did know it was 550mm deep as we had the instruction manual.

This is why I stick to fixing cars instead :cry::D

Sponsored Links
That the gas pipe looks like, although difficult to see/measure due to design of cabinet, that it's less than 25mm from an electrical cable, albeit one that's fixed and will have no chance of chafing against the pipe.

Sponsored Links
For a domestic gas pipe up to 35mm diameter, 25mm clearance between pipe and a supply or distribution cable is required.
For gas pipework over 35mm dia, 50mm separation is required.

If the gas pipe is PVC wrapped or insulating material is interposed, these distances can be reduced.

I would wrap the pipe in a good quality SA PVC tape.

Not sure if latest reg number has changed, but 528.3.3

All the qualified sparks I have met have done the same as me and referred to BS6891:2005 in order to achieve compliance with 528.3.3.

Indeed, for all its sins, the OSG does the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back