Electric power shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I posted here yesterday with an RCD problem I had with my power shower, and we came to the conclusion that I had a faulty RCD unit and needed to buy a new one.

So I bought one today, installed it just fine and the shower cords when pulled showed a red light and got hot running water - brilliant. So I've had a shower, but then my wife tried to take a shower and said it was not working.

What seems to happen now is when the button on the electric shower is pressed, the red light on the pull cord unit goes off and when you turn the shower off the cord goes back to being red. Any ideas where I can begin to look for where this problem is eminating from?

Thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
First suspect would be the shower switch.

You may find one of the wires / terminals is burnt.

With the power off, unscrew the faceplate screws from the shower switch, and gently ease it out from the backbox.

Let us know what you find in there.

Loose connections somewhere.

ADVICE DO NOT USE THE SHOWER until the circuit has been inspected by someone who knows what they are looking for as the loose connection could become extremely hot.

Ok have taken it apart.

Doesnt seem to be too much out of the ordinary. 2 blue wires going into the main unit, 2 brown wires going into the main unit and then 2 green/yellow wires going into some earth terminals.

Sponsored Links
Im beginning to think its not the cord switch and more to do now with the actual power shower unit itself, have taken the front panel off and there is an entire array of different wires going all over the place - but again nothing looks burnt or anything :confused:

since it's the only thing that's been changed then check the terminals on the RCD are all tight, and if it's a "plug in type" ( hate those things by the way.. ) such as crabtree or square D, then make sure it's plugged in right..

make sure the cable is under the clamps and not just wedged in some how.. ( done it myself.. missed the hole and tightened the screw down but it was just pinched next to the screw... noticed before powering up though.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back