Electric reading recording/remote monitoring equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

is there any equipment available to buy or rent that can be wired into a domestic circuit (say in this case to the boilers fuesd spur) which will monitor and record the incoming electrical supply for voltage/frequency/earth leakage - stray currents etc over a period of weeks?

have an appliance (boiler) playing up very very intermitantly, every few weeks or so going to a fault, and the unit has been replaced, the only other possibilitys are a very intermitant external electrical issue that could be causing the boiler to fault (flame rectification which uses the earth of the appliance to confirm a flame siganl - how most modern boilers do) so things like polarity, voltage drop, or any voltage on the earth could cause it, but any time its checked its all ok.

Sponsored Links
Loads but they're expensive. Why not try a surge protection sockets (Amazon, £10) or even a UPS (£60 or so) to see if the fault goes away? (If your boiler is currently connected via an FCU then buy a trailing 13A socket and a 13A plug, connect the trailing socket to the cable coming out of the FCU, plug the surge thing or UPS into it and put a 13A plug on the end of the boiler cable and plug that iinto the surge thing/UPS). A UPS is not a bad thing to have on a boiler anyway- if you get a power cut you can use it to blast some heat into the house for an hour or so.

A UPS is not a bad thing to have on a boiler anyway- if you get a power cut you can use it to blast some heat into the house for an hour or so.
True. However, it's worth noting that, as I discovered a few years ago when I undertook an 'energy use survey' of my house, even modest ones (as used, for example, for a PC) were in some cases using about 1 kWh per day. That's something like £50 per year if on 24/7/365 and if, as was the case for me, I had several of those running, it actually added up to a pretty significant additional cost (not to mention 'environmental' considerations).

I'm talking about pretty cheap UPSs, so it's possible that more expensive ones are much less wasteful of energy. With any of them, things presumably get worse as the batteries age, since the UPS then spends most of the time charging them.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back