Electric retractable awning - caution if you're buying one!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks
Had a new Luxaflex retractable awning installed a few weeks ago. It's 3.5 wide and extends to 2.6m. Electric motor internally with remote control for extending and retracting, so not cheap.
Two nights ago we had sudden heavy rain, which was not forecast for this area. Sods law, this was the one night we'd forgotten to close the awning at the end of the day. Massive crash at 5.30 am - water had ponded in the awning and pulled it off the wall.
We were certainly advised about keeping the awning closed in windy weather, but not that water could pond on it so easily in heavy rain. As you can imagine, once water starts ponding there's no way back unless you quickly become aware of the problem.
Luckily we can claim on our house insurance for this, but two lessons to learn here - firstly, how quickly and easily water can pond on an awning in heavy rain, and secondly, we'll make sure the replacement will have a timer on it so that it will automatically retract at a preset time in the evening, so this can't happen again.
Hope this helps someone avoid similar.

Sponsored Links
I was advised that these can be unreliable. Anyone got experience of one of these?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of buying an awning for sitting outside in the rain, though I'm having second thoughts now! Got to wonder what's the point of them then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back