Electric shaving socket install rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any specific rules I must follow when installing a bathroom, shaving socket?

For example, must the socket be a minimum distance away from the basin etc?

Sponsored Links
Not allowed in Zones 0 and 1.
Allowed in Zone 2 if BS EN 61558-2-5.

The circuit must be 'protected' by an RCD.

Most of the diagrams on the net are incorrect; this one seems accurate:

So basically you can install shaving socket anywhere as long as its 0.6m from edge of shower tray/bath?

So in theory I could install it right next to my basin if I wanted?

If so, that seems odd.. What about splash back?

Sponsored Links
If so, that seems odd.. What about splash back?
There are no specific regulations on the location of sockets, shaver or otherwise, in relation to sinks or basins

However there is a regulation stating that equipment must be suitable for it's environment. If you belive a location is likely to be splashed you should not install a non-IP rated socket there.

However there is a regulation stating that equipment must be suitable for it's environment.
There is.
If you belive a location is likely to be splashed you should not install a non-IP rated socket there.
I presume that you mean an adequately IP-rated socket? [after all, IP00 is a perfectly valid 'IP rating' :) ]

However, I thought that shaver sockets are usually IP41, which represents the lowest possible degree of protection against water ingress (protection only against 'vertically falling water drops') in fact, I've seen some which are IP20 !. If one wanted protection against 'splashes' (which you mention), I think it would have to be at least IPX4, wouldn't it - and I'm not sure that I have ever seen a shaver socket with such a rating- have you?

Kind Regards, John

At least one brand makes IP rated enclosures that you can fit your own accessory of choice in, but I'm not sure if they are deep enough to take a shaver socket.

I don't think an "IP rated" (for lack of a better term) is a reasonable soloution though, choosing a location that is unlikely to be splashed would seem the way to go.

Thanks for the bump/reminder guys. :mrgreen:

I am going to get on with this job today.

I will install it a reasonable distance away from the basin to eliminate the concern of water coming into contact with the socket.

At least one brand makes IP rated enclosures that you can fit your own accessory of choice in, but I'm not sure if they are deep enough to take a shaver socket.
Sure, but they are surely primarily intended for outdoor use (and, as you say, maybe not large enough for a shaver socket) but have you ever heard of anyone even dreaming of putting one in a bathroom?

Without such an enclosure (which I doubt that anyone would contemplate in a bathroom) I can't see that much of a 'second digit' IP rating would be possible, since the holes for the (2-pin) plug pins cannot really be shuttered in the usual sense.
I don't think an "IP rated" (for lack of a better term) is a reasonable soloution though, choosing a location that is unlikely to be splashed would seem the way to go.
Quite so. As has been said, this has really got noting to do with regs or IP ratings but, rather, 'common senses'.

Kind Regards, John

With a proper (not one of those pug adaptor) shaver socket you do not have L & N in the normal sense, you have two lines (call them lives if you want to) and neither of them have any reference to earth. So the only shock risk is between those two and not to Earth or to Neutral, So , providing you don`t reference one of them to earth (save by very dirty water or something) you can only get a shock from being connected to both wires not to one wire and earth. That`s why you are only allowed to plug one appliance into one shaver socket. Pretty safe

With a proper (not one of those pug adaptor) shaver socket you do not have L & N in the normal sense, you have two lines (call them lives if you want to) and neither of them have any reference to earth. So the only shock risk is between those two and not to Earth or to Neutral, So , providing you don`t reference one of them to earth (save by very dirty water or something) you can only get a shock from being connected to both wires not to one wire and earth. That`s why you are only allowed to plug one appliance into one shaver socket. Pretty safe
I agree - and that's probably one of the reasons why most are no better than IP41 and at least one (available from TLC) only IP20 !

Having said that, if the back box were to 'fill-up with water' I suppose that water might provide a path from the (earth-referenced) 230V on the primary side of the transformer, but I don't think many of us would lose much sleep over that remote possibility.

As has been said, it's really a matter of common sense, and I think plugwash's mention of a (presumably 'fairly high') 'IP-rated' shaver socket is probably (to most people's minds) unnecessarily cautious - not that I would ever criticise anyone for being 'cautious', to whatever extent they felt fit.

Kind Regards, John

I have a light/shaver socket above the basin mirror. I don't think I have ever splashed it.
I have one very close to a bagthroom sink. I don't know whether I have ever splashed it (probably have!), but it certainly doesn't concern me.

Kind Regards, John

Wow John you must have quite a size bathroom if it has a sink in it. Most bathrooms us humble folk have just contain a hand basin (or Lavatory Hand Basins as the plumbing fraternity likes to call `em) - Sorry I couldn`t resist that little gem, it`s an old plumbing lots trick, the customer asks them to fix a leaky tap on the sink so they re-washer the kitchen sink then when customer rings back they say "Hah, you mean the wash basin in the bathroom not the sink in the kitchen?" gains extra revenue for the little blighters but they really knew that the customers were using the wrong terminology in the first place. LOL. Mind you we get used to customers calling sockets plugs etc etc in fact I heard a customer asking the wholesaler asking for lead lights, we both wondered if he was working in a church on the leaded lights. No he meant lighting that was LED :giggle:

IMG_2448.jpg

Wow John you must have quite a size bathroom if it has a sink in it. Most bathrooms us humble folk have just contain a hand basin (or Lavatory Hand Basins as the plumbing fraternity likes to call `em) - Sorry I couldn`t resist that little gem ...
Hmmm - be careful, because I'm now going to be scrutinising all your posts for words I have something to say about !!.

Having said that, I've seen some sinks smaller than some of my bathroom basins, so ... ;)
, ..... Mind you we get used to customers calling sockets plugs etc etc in fact I heard a customer asking the wholesaler asking for lead lights, we both wondered if he was working in a church on the leaded lights. No he meant lighting that was LED :giggle:
:)

What the industry does with terminology doesn't help. As I often say, see what the faces of workers in a retail outlet look like (I've tried it :) ) if you tell them that you want a lamp for your table lamp, standard lamp or headlamp, or where you get sent if you say you want to see what lamps they have on offer :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back