Electric sHock !!! Was I lucky ??

No harm done ,and for any other non experts ,dont try this at home .
Regards
Rob.

Get one of tese, costs £10+
socket-voltage-tester-838-580_medium.jpg

Clear indication of the presence of voltage is given by the illumination of the tip

Sponsored Links
OK fellas I get the Drift . :oops:
Hopefully , posting this may serve its purpose, to prevent any other Non Experts ,to think before they attempt electrical work ,or leave it well alone.

No harm done thankfully . :eek:

Thanks for the comments .

No harm done ,and for any other non experts ,dont try this at home .
Regards
Rob.

Get one of tese, costs £10+
socket-voltage-tester-838-580_medium.jpg

Clear indication of the presence of voltage is given by the illumination of the tip

Yuck - they are useful for testing mains fairylights but I wouldn't ever use trust something that lights up when rubbed on my arm to test for dead!
Use a 2 probe voltage tester such as these to test for dead: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TMDL6780.html

Sponsored Links
Don't really need a proving unit unless you are using the probes far away from a supply - you can use a source with similar expected voltage to prove the testers, i.e. if you are working in a CU then you can prove the tester across the live tails.
(I do own a proving unit and tester as in the pic BAS posted)

I do actually have both the neon type screwdriver tester and the other type of tester shown .

I just forgot to use them thinking they were all off on the same circuit !!!!! :rolleyes:

Neon screwdrivers use you as part of the path to make them illuminate - they are imo one of the worst things invented.
Stick with the 2 lead proper isolation testers ;)

Is there a simple set of instructions on here about how to use the testers ?

I found no instructions with them when I bought them ,so really I would not be sure how or what to do with each of the probe ends to get the correct info from the unit .

I am sure its simple, but advice would be appreciated .

Thankyou .
Rob.

How to use a neon screwdriver?? Open bin lid, place within, take bag outside and place in wheeliebin and let the dustmen do the best job taking it away.
Non-contact voltage indicators - place in a drawer awaiting xmas when your mains fairy lights don't work once you get them on the tree - becoming obsolete as most fairylights are ELV nowadays.

Normal 2 lead voltage testers:
  1. Place one lead on neutral, place the other lead on phase. Read the voltage from the scale. If it is dead will be around 0v, or might bleep on continuity.
  2. Place one lead on earth. Place the other lead onto phase. Read the voltage off the scale. Depending on the isolation might bleep on continuity.
  3. Place one lead on earth. Place the other lead onto neutral. Read the voltage off the scale. Should be around 0v. Could bleep on continuity.
Re-check the neutral - earth when splitting neutral conductors from each other as sometimes there may be a shared neutral waiting to bite.

Is there anything wrong with using a multimeter rather than a specific tester as illustrated?

Edit:
D'oh, Sorry for bumping an ancient post, i should pay more attention when clicking around the "related posts" section

Is there anything wrong with using a multimeter rather than a specific tester as illustrated?

Although if you are competant a multimeter could be seen as adequate if you can do the proving as well, there is a chance that you can have the meter set incorrectly.
There are no settings on a voltage indicator to get wrong. You would also most likely fail practical electrical tests if you were to suggest the use of such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back