electric shocks off taps in bathroom and washingmachine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone I no is getting electric shocks off there bathroom taps and washing machine casing! No breakers trip! I dont think there is an rcd trip either!
I am a spark myself but first I have had this before!
Any tests that could be carried out to find the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Earth fault loop impedance Ze would be a good start.
Then R1+R2 to the washing machine supply, check the bond between the washing machine and supply.
Is supplementary bonding in place in the bathroom?
Is main bonding in place?
Are the R2 figures 0.05ohms or less for the main bonding?

Cheers spark 123. Seems funny why it would be the bathroom taps and the washing machine!

Apreciate the advice anyway!

Sponsored Links
Not being cynical, honest, but I am genuinely interested in to what extent one can be a spark and have no clue where to start looking for this problem? Really, I'm not having a go but it sounds to a layman such an odd thing to say. :eek:

It would depend on what type of electrician and what type of installations they are familiar with. For example, would you be happy working on a something like an aircraft?

I'd love to work on an aircraft, only I doubt they'd let me, seeing as though I'm a landscaper.

Point taken, though - as I said, I wasn't being snide - I was simply interested.

No offence taken even though it was a bit of a stupid comment to make Wabbitpoo!
As it happens I usually only work on new builds and dont encounter faults in old instalations on a day to day basis.

I was thinking that myself the other day but not so much laminate, but if they have had new carpets laid in house and they were building up a lot of static through there feet then discharging to metal work!

new laminate flooring in the bathroom and kitchen recently?

Your logic being :?: :?: :?:

some types of laminate flooring cause static problems.. and touching something earthed would cause a static shock.. moreso if the owner in question shuffles about in their nylon socks / tights as people are apt to do in bathrooms and such...

bathrooms tend to be cross bonded and plumbed in copper since pipes are on show behind pedestal sinks and to showers..
kitchens may be plumbed in that plastic pipe and tend to not have the kitchen sink and taps bonded anymore.. so you wouldn't get a shock from the taps and sink in the kitchen..

Had this exact thing last week, shocks off the washing machine and sink. First thing to check would be the supply to the appliance, which in my case, was as expected. No CPC at the socket. If the socket is fine then the bonding should be looked at. If there is an RCD then any leakage from an appliance should isolated the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back