Electric shower and water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I am looking to install a new ensuit and will more than likely be forced to install an electric shower. Is it possible to run and electric shower directly from a cold water storage tank in the loft or does it have to run off mains water?

If it is possible to use a storage tank then I'll install a seperate one specifically for this shower. What size pipe would be best to feed it?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

If I was to install a water tank with a single impellor pump in the loft, would I be able to run the following shower with this set up?

Pump

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...n=googlebase&gclid=CLeFnruA4tECFYm4GwodknMHSw

Electric shower

http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-t300si-wireless-manual-electric-shower-satin-chrome-9-5kw/6805g

If so, Would I be able to situate all the components (tank, impellor pump and shower on a purpose built stand in the attic. then feed down the hot water supply line through the walls to the shower head?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sorry Dan, on a separate note, what size tank would you recommend for this type of system? Guess we'd be looking at 2 showers one after the other 5 - 7 mins each.

Why not just install an electric shower that runs off the mains and avoid the faff of a tank? Also, why do you believe you are forced into having an electric shower? What kind of hot water arrangement do you have currently?

We had a similar setup to what you are proposing in our last house and we had a triton pump and it was ok but not the best in my opinion.
This http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Tap...art+Turner+Techflo+TP+Twin+Shower+Pump/p85508 pump is better and a lot quieter than the triton offering.
I would also think about getting a cable installed that is rated to take a 10kw shower because if you decide to upgrade the electric shower in the future then it will be a lot simpler.

Mike

Andrew - We have an old victorian house which already has 3 bathrooms. 2 showers are pump fed and one gravity fed. As you can imagine when there is more than one shower going at once we have major issues with hot water. We are considering changing out for an unvented system but our pressure and flow rate is not great. Plus the cost for a change out like that is high. So with a standard hot water tank and the existing cold water tank feeding the other 3 bathrooms, we are very short on supply.

Mike - I was looking to get a 10mm twin and earth cable installed which hopefully will suffice for any future options. is there ay specific grade of 10mm cable needed do you know?

Thanks

Andy

Fair enough. So don't quite understand why you can't supply your new electric shower direct from the mains though?

Mains pressure is affected badly if another tap in the house is used at the same time. So was just trying to avoid any potential issues that may arise with an electric shower feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back