ELECTRIC SHOWER HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, looking for some advice on what could be wrong with my electric shower. I know nothing about electrics.

Last night whilst having a shower my partner turned the computer on and the electrics tripped (apart from the lights) non of the sockets were working, heating down, fridge, shower etc. So we reset it thinking everything would be ok, everything is apart from the shower. The shower has lost most of its power, the water trickles out and the heat has to be turned to max to even get luke warm water, when before it was roasting on half power. Help!! I think it's a fairly new shower (moved in to the flat a year ago).

Can anyone suggest what could be wrong?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
OK, it sounds like your RCD has tripped.

(It will say RCCB or RCD and have 30mA or 0.03A on it somewhere, and a test button)

The cause was almost certainly the shower, since it seems its gone faulty, and your computer, evidently, still works!

OK, lets look at the shower, if you turn it to a "normal" temperature setting (where the dial would be before this incident for a comfortable shower), does the water come out at normal force? If this is the case, it sounds rather like one of the elements in the shower has broken, causing the water not to heat up enough.

Your shower will have two elements, one normally more powerful than the other, combined they make the full power setting. The more powerful element seems to have gone, since you say its still only luke warm when theres very little water flowing.

Contrary to popular belief, the "temperature control" which is variable and you use to control the temperature, actually controls the flow of water through the heater, thus on "cold" water moves quicker through the heater, and on hot, water moves slower.

Unfortunately, it will most likely be cheaper to purchase a new shower unit. If your problem is not the above, and you cannot get the water to flow quickly, reply with more info.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Very helpful!

If I turn the temperature to a normal setting for a comfortable shower, the water pressure is about a third of what it was before, this as well as the temperature being cold - to get luke warm I have to turn the temperature to max but then the water is barely trickling.

What other info can I give you that would help? It's a Mira sport shower if that makes any difference. The manual that I have says it could be that the "sprayplate" is blocked and needs cleaning, but I was thinking that beause our fuse tripped that it wouldnt be something like that (as in a blockage, surely more likely to be something blown/broken?).

Another question, if I need to get a whole new unit, who is best to contact... an electrician, a mira engineer etc etc? apologies if that's an obvious question but i've not lived long away from home!

Thanks again for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Check those things first - blockages. One place where there may be a build up of debris is in the main water inlet. Unfortunately this will involve opening ths shower up and removing the main water inlet to inspect the filter there.

It could be that the blockage caused the pressure to drop suddenly, this made the pressure valve activate (which had a fault on it) and tripped the RCD.

Have you opened the shower yet? If you do, look out for signs of burning or scorch marks. Open it with the aid of the instructions, which will have a diagram telling you whats what.

Regarding who to contact, if its in warranty, Mira would be the first call. However this is unlikely. Given you'll probably be changing the shower like for like, you CAN do it yourself, with regard to the wiring regulations and part p of the building regs. But if you dont feel confident (I know plumbing can be daunting!), ring a few plumbers and see if they'll change your electric shower - get 3 quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back