Electric Shower Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Anyone with any knowledge of electric shower faults?? Shower has been working fine up until yesterday when went to switch on but not functioning correctly

Pull switch is working correctly as light appears but once switched on the light on shower unit is fading before finally going out completely. All connections in fuse box, pull switch fine therefore I assume a shower issue...

Sponsored Links
I would suspect its the shower isolating pull switch. They have a habit of getting their switching contacts burned / pitted, so when the shower is operated and starts to draw current the contacts can't carry it anymore and nothing happens.

There is no need to operate the pull switch every time you use the shower. It is there for isolation when doing shower maintenance. Looks like you have worn out the switch.

There is no need to operate the pull switch every time you use the shower. It is there for isolation when doing shower maintenance. Looks like you have worn out the switch.
Get a better switch.

Mine has been operated over 10,000 times and it is fine.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect its the shower isolating pull switch. They have a habit of getting their switching contacts burned / pitted, so when the shower is operated and starts to draw current the contacts can't carry it anymore and nothing happens.

You wouldn't use the pull cord to isolate the shower whilst under load, so you shouldn't get pitting of the contacts.

It's not always operating the switch that causes arcing. I've known the isolator to arc under load. The shower was still working, but the arcing was causing radio interference. That was what drew the owners attention to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I swapped our shower switch 18 years ago (MK) and it has worked fine since then.

And I switch it on and off daily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back