Electric shower installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im Wiring electric shower using a 10mm cable from shower unit to consumer unit, I have managed to find a pretty good route without lifting any floor boards but the problem I have is that the electric cable would be about 2 inches away from a hot water pipe that goes into the boiler would this be okay and how far should i be to be safe? one more question would it be okay to run the cable through the boiler room? Also is it madatory to have the electric cable running from behind the wall & tiles or can I use a condiut or chase it, please help

Sponsored Links
All cables `should` be kept a good distance from hot pipes as a cable actually touching a hot pipe can be melted.As long as the cable isn't running parallel with the pipe you could get away with placing some insulation between the short section where the pipe and cable meet (i.e no more than 50mm).

If said cable has to run through a boiler room and then ambient temperature is exceeding 20 degrees then you should use correction factors to find a suitable size cable you can use.

Yes you can run your cable through trunking to your shower but if this run is again excessive this will lower the overall current carring capacity.

I.E Method 1 (clipped direct) @10mm cable C.C.Capacity is 63amps

Method 3 (in conduit or trunking) @10mm cable C.C.Capacity is 52amps

You are not allowed to run the cable across the wall and cover it over, even with tiles, unless it is in a recognised zone. this means vertically or horiz from a switch, socket or other accessory or within 6inches or a ceiling or wall corner.
Alternatively the cable can be more than 50mm sunk in the wall or run in earthed, steel conduit.

I did find a redundant metal flue which i passed the wire through would this be okay?

Also is trunking safe in the shower room as long as i water proof it with silicone? the trunking would be about 1/2 meter, I dont really want to remove the tiles but to be safe for me and my family if i had to do it then i would.

Sponsored Links
its not a conduit, its not mechanialy stong enough, its not earthed, will dmage cable as it goes in / comes out, stupid idea, wouldnt be expected, bodge job, not safe

only way to be safe , do it properly

as my late father would say, if a job is worth doing its worth doing well

what would you suggest? I understand but I need someone to tell me the safe way which I dont know at the minute I believe in doing a job properley & safley not only for my self but my family too, please give me some advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back