Electric shower, keeps blowing switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have triton t90i, have a 45amp switch, this keeps blowing every couple of months, gets very hot during use, have replaced switch several times and tightened connections
In Ireland, anyone have any ideas to resolve this
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello Bero,

Are you saying that you 'local' 45A double pole isolator is the problem, or do you mean the circuit has a 45A mcb/rcbo ?

Triton T90SI, If so that is rated at 8.5Kw ?

Ed

Its the 45a isolator switch that keeps blowing, gets very hot and then goes, found burning marks on the cable insulation

Sponsored Links
No, all connections have been checked and tightened. Have changed switch several times

Do you definitely have enough of the copper inside the switch - if you only had a small area exposed then it's possible that it is that part that's getting hot.

Also, most of these 45A switches have two screws for securing the wires - are you sure you have both tightened, and not just one or whatever...

If that's the 8.5kw Triton T90i, it draws 8.5KW which is 38.63amps at 220V (Irish standard voltage)

Possible problems:

1) The switch is actually 32amps (quite likely) - Check the rating carefully.
2) The cable is under rated (very very dangerous!) - Check the cable is correctly rated for the load.
3) Loose terminals on the switch.

If it is just the switch I would suggest replacing the switch with a 45amp from a reputable supplier e.g. MK.

Finally, you said that there was burnt insulation. That's a pretty serious symptom and it could mean the whole cable is under rated and over heating - could cause a house fire!

Who installed this shower? If it was professionally installed, I would contact the installer immediately.

If it was a replacement for an existing shower that was done by a DIY person. Did they simply replace an old 32A breaker on the distribution board with a 45A RCBO and put in a 45A switch?!

If so there's a serious risk of fire as the cable may not be rated to carry 45amps.

Many older showers were 32A max.

I can't see any tech specs for the triton shower manufactured for Ireland - just a word of warning, sometimes they give the rating for a different voltage as over here in England they give it as 8.5kw @ 240v but is only a 7.9kw @ 230v which is now our nominal voltage (albeit in reality most of us are still on 240v).

Sponsored Links
Back