Electric shower - no power!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals,
I installed an electric shower Mira play 9.5kw only 2 weeks ago. It has been working fine until last night. My wife took a shower without any problems, however when i got in after her and switched the unit on, nothing! There is no power whatsoever to the unit. The tripswitch hasn't been activated and the seperate shower switch which is situated on the landing has a red light on it which is lit when turned on. I am at a complete loss with this one so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Sponsored Links
I would strongly suggest you engage a qualified electrician to test your new shower, as you have no way of telling whether or not the safety mechanisms work.
Unless you managed to lay your hands on some test kit that costs the best part of a grand, you will not be able to tell if the earth has an acceptable value, and if the rcd works correctly, nor will you be able to tell if the bonding is effective or not.
If a fault occurs, and water is spraying on the electrics, you want to be sure it cuts out quickly.

There are many possible causes of this symptom.

The first thing to do is determine whether or not power is reaching the shower.

To do this you need to know how to work safely when removing the shower unit cover and hot to use a meter or a test lamp.

Are you confident that you're competent with electrics?

Sponsored Links
Feel free to post your list of causes - perhaps it will make things easier for Stesnees.

Thanks for the replies guys, think i'm gonna go down the electrician route, only have a basic knowledge of electrics and wouldn't wanna cause more harm than good! Cheers, Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back