Electric Showers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 9.5KW Iflo shower that's developed an internal leak so need to change it. OH wants it upgrading to 10.5KW which I don't think is possible due to the consumer unit so wanting some advice please.

My current Consumer Unit is a Wylex unit split into 2 separate circuits (upstairs and downstairs). The upstairs circuit has 2 32 amp MCB's for the shower and plug socket ring main and then a 16 amp MCB (for my solar PV) and a 6 amp MCB for the lighting circuit. They're then connected through the 80amp RCD.

Looking at as much info as possible it would seem if we upgrade to a 10.5 KW shower I'd need to have a 50amp MCB fitted which would be too much for the consumer unit.

The current setup has operated without any issues since the Solar PV was fitted 5 years ago so it would be best to stick with the 9.5KW shower - am I correct?

The next issue would be choice of shower:

Which recommend Mira Elite or Azora or Aqualisa Quartz but these don't seem to be rated very well by people that have actually bought them.

So I'm looking for recommendations for an electric (preferably thermostatically controlled) shower 9.5kw unless 10.5 is suitable without installing an additional consumer unit.

Price can be up to about £200 for the shower.

Mira 9kw Sport or Tritan Aspirante 9.5kw seem to get good reviews?

Sponsored Links
I currently have a 9.5KW Iflo shower that's developed an internal leak so need to change it. OH wants it upgrading to 10.5KW which I don't think is possible due to the consumer unit so wanting some advice please.

My current Consumer Unit is a Wylex unit split into 2 separate circuits (upstairs and downstairs). The upstairs circuit has 2 32 amp MCB's for the shower and plug socket ring main and then a 16 amp MCB (for my solar PV) and a 6 amp MCB for the lighting circuit. They're then connected through the 80amp RCD.
32A MCB is too small for a 9.5kW shower which is 39.6A.
You will be gradually overheating the MCB.
You should have a 40A MCB.
However, whether you can upgrade depends on the cable and its installation method.

Looking at as much info as possible it would seem if we upgrade to a 10.5 KW shower I'd need to have a 50amp MCB fitted which would be too much for the consumer unit.
10.5kW is 43.75A so 45A (if made for your CU) or 50A MCB would be required.
I don't know what you mean by 'too much for the CU'.

The current setup has operated without any issues since the Solar PV was fitted 5 years ago so it would be best to stick with the 9.5KW shower - am I correct?
Probably. Another kW isn't going to make much difference anyway.

32A MCB is too small for a 9.5kW shower which is 39.6A.
You will be gradually overheating the MCB.
You should have a 40A MCB.
However, whether you can upgrade depends on the cable and its installation method.

The cable is 14mm wired directly from the CU to the shower unit itself

10.5kW is 43.75A so 45A (if made for your CU) or 50A MCB would be required.
I don't know what you mean by 'too much for the CU'.

Being a bit dim I see the 80amp RCD but then see the 4 MCB's adding up to 84amps which is slightly more than the 80 amp limit for the RCD. If I get the 32 amp mcb changed to 50 amp that then adds up to 102 amps.

Sorry for being a bit thick but is this actually acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Your cable size of 14mm means nothing. Cross sectional area of the copper conductors relates to its size eg 6 mm² ,or 10mm².
Diversity accounts for the total amps adding up to more than 80 ,all those circuits will not draw the full current simultaneously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back