1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Sealing around electric shower

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Alison556, 19 Jan 2021.

1. Alison556

Alison556

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We've just replaced my mum's shower with a Mira Sprint 9.5kw. It says on the instructions not to silicone around the unit, but it's got no seal as such where the front goes against the wall and to be honest, I wouldn't fancy risking showering in it in case there was water ingress into the unit.

Would you seal it?

2. AdrianUK

AdrianUK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nope.

It will have been designed to keep water ingress to a minimum.

Also the absence of a seal means that any water that does get in can get out .... if you seal it, you'll seal IN any water that does make it inside!

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The general concensus is that the shower unit shouldn’t be sealed to tiles etc because the design of the casing makes it spray proof.
    It’s claimed that the shower module needs to ventilate and cool.
    However I understand completely how you feel, and on mine I took great care to silicone round where the cable entered the back of the unit.
    John :)

5. Alison556

Alison556

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There's about a 2mm gap between the wet wall and the shower cover - right where the electrics are. Just not convinced mother won't get electrocuted

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links