Electric Shower Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday the shower went off whilst in use. It tripped the RCD. After checking all the connections in the pull switch and shower I found a loose connection in the Shower Unit itself. When tested the problem is now that the shower comes on as soon as you switch on at the pull switch. It shouldn't as the shower unit has an on/off switch with a phased shutdown. What is causing this?

Sponsored Links
Did you have a choice of terminals to reconnect it? I'm no expert on shower internals but it sounds as though you've connected to a permanent live instead of a switched live ...

PJ

Make and model of shower?

One possibility is that when replacing the shower cover, you have jammed the switch in the on position, or crushed/damaged the wires connected to the switch.

Or the shower is broken.

Sponsored Links
Its a New Team 8.5kw. I have rechecked all the connections and all are in the right place and secure. Things have got worse now as when you switch it on at the pull switch it trips the RCD

How is that worse? It tripped the RCD initially.

Sounds like the shower is kaput.

Power down, disconnect the feed to it, make the ends safe, then reapply power.

When you switch on the supply, does it trip the RCD?

sounds like you have a faulty pcb which is sending constant power to the solenoid coil so getting water flow soon as pullcord is on.

what is it the mk 2 or 3 ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back